Field hockey falls to Miami (Ohio), 5-0

dsc-0526-9

Senior midfielder Leah Umberger directs the ball away from her opponent on Friday, Sept. 28 at the CMU Field Hockey Complex. 

Central Michigan field hockey lost their Mid-American Conference match on Friday against the Miami (OH) Redhawks, despite showing significant possession. 

The Chippewas (1-12, 0-3 MAC) fell to the Redhawks (8-4, 3-0 MAC) 5-0 at the CMU Field Hockey Complex. 

“There were some really good things that we did,” Chippewas head coach Catherine Ostoich said post-game. “To actually see some of the possession things that we talked about this week in practice and we did them out there, it was awesome, and I think it gave us a rejuvenated spirit going forward.”

Redhawks senior back Mariona Heras opened the scoring just four minutes into the match on a rebounded shot from a penalty corner to give Miami an early edge.

Miami piled in two more goals towards the end of the first half to bring the score to 3-0 as the horn sounded for halftime. 

The teams played sound defense and the offensive units for each club remained relatively quiet outside of the five goals for the visiting Redhawks. 

As the teams returned to the field for the second half, it was more of the same as the Chippewas and Redhawks played strong, technical defense not allowing many chances on their own end. 

Ostoich knows that her Chippewas are close to earning that much anticipated first win in over a month.

“We just have to put the final pieces together,” Ostoich said. “Something good would happen, then right after we’d make a bad pass. I think this game rejuvenated us. ... I know we’re ready to go into this last week of practice determined to be better than we are today.”