David Garcia Project creates perspective by simulating disabilities

40754d28-66d5-46be-88b7-6ab998f11dd0-original

Students participate in a David Garcia Project simulation. 

Using experimental learning programs, members of the David Garcia Project at Central Michigan University are working to bring awareness to the difficulties disabilities can cause an individual. 

Founded in 1999, the DGP was formerly known as the Disability Awareness Project. However, after the 9/11 attack of the World Trade Center, the organization renamed the project in honor of David Garcia.

Garcia, who died in the attack, was a computer programmer with an incurable degenerative eye disorder.

The DGP is made up of student facilitators who are dedicated to educating the public about what it's like to live with a disability. All work that is done is volunteer based. 

“What I loved most, when I was a facilitator, was the ‘ah-ha’ moment that the participants get when they really realize the differences and challenges these individuals go through,” said Kelsey Bogrow, DGP student coordinator. “So now, as a student coordinator, I love that I get to help the facilitators get that moment.”

The DGP simulates five different categories of disabilities including auditory, visual, learning, psychological, and developmental. This makes each session slightly different than a previous one. 

These sessions showcase specific obstacles from the following diagnoses:

• Deafness/hearing loss
  • Visual impairments/vision Loss  
  • Arthritis
  • Mobility impairments
  • Learning disabilities
  • Autism Spectrum Disorder                       
  • Schizophrenia

After the hour-and-a-half-long simulation, there is a reflective discussion on what the participants experienced and their thoughts. 

DGP graduate assistant, Bianca Gleton said that the discussion is an important part of the process.

“Our reflection component allows students to think why did they just go through the simulation, what they learned from it and what can they do with the knowledge they now have,” Gleton said.

Throughout the academic year, the DGP has open sessions for the public and private sessions for registered student organizations and classes.

Kalamazoo senior Cia Elder attended a DPG session last year while volunteering in the lunch buddies program. 

"The reflective discussion allows you to really recognize the fact that this is something that people go through everyday and you can't just always assume that people don't have these experiences," Elder said. "People deserve to feel like they're important, and it's not okay to disregard a person just because they have a disability or something that makes them different."

To find out more about when open sessions are happening or to request a private session, visit the Mary Ellen Brandell Volunteer Center OrgSync portal.

Sessions occurring this month include:

• 7-8 p.m. on Oct. 8 in the Bovee University Center, room 125.
  • 6-7 p.m. on Oct. 11 in Powers Hall, room 133.
  • 5-6 p.m. on Oct. 24 in Bovee UC, room 125.