Symposium will discuss Great Lakes policy; training the next generation of scientists

screen-shot-2018-10-15-at-3-12-16-pm
U.S. Rep. Dan Kildee, D-Flint Township

The fifth annual Great Lakes Science in Action Symposium intends to discuss policy effects on the Great Lakes and training a new generation of scientists.

The symposium will run from 9 a.m. to noon Friday, Oct. 19. The event will be held in the Biosciences Building Auditorium. According to University Communications, Central Michigan University President Robert Davies will introduce the event, followed by a speech from U.S. Rep. Dan Kildee, D-Flint Township. Two discussion panels will be held as well.

Kildee is a CMU alumnus, according to a University Communications press release. The release said he has worked to protect the Great Lakes.

“He has built a reputation for protecting the Great Lakes,” the release said.

The first panel will discuss the effects public policy has on the Great Lakes. Panelists include legislative and policy assistants for Kildee, U.S. Rep. John Moolenaar, R-Midland, and U.S. Sen. Debbie Stabenow, D-Michigan.

The second panel will talk about how to train the next generation of scientists. The panelists include professors from the departments of Earth and atmospheric Sciences, geography and environmental studies, biology and the Earth and ecosystem science doctoral program.

The event is free and open to the public.