'Just a Swing Thing' keeps the art of swing dancing alive

dsc-1806

Morgan Crawford (left), Katie Ely (middle), and Christina Hayward (right), dance together at Just A Swing Thing Sept. 16 at Wesley United Methodist Church .  

The night is young but the music is old.

By 8 p.m., the sky is dark, but Just a Swing Thing is about to begin. Experienced and novice dancers gather at Wesley United Methodist Church, leaving their worries behind to let loose on the dance floor.     

Swing is a style of dance that originated in the 1920’s-1950’s jazz era. The Lindy Hop, Charleston and Jitterbug are all products of the swing generation, each involving fast and bouncy movements.  

“Swing dancing is a totally different beast from anything else I’ve ever done, mainly because it’s a social dance, so you’re never dancing alone,” Just a Swing Thing Vice President Christina Hayward said. “Many dances have tons of rules and swing dancing is like ‘here’s the framework, and here’s how you break it.’  There’s something really freeing about breaking the formal rules and doing what makes you happy.”

Just a Swing Thing was formed in March 2015, and since its creation, the club has attracted a variety of different students, ranging from athletes and STEM and business majors to musicians.

“To be honest, I just saw chalk on the sidewalk and thought it looked like a lot of fun,” Redford junior Matthew Drain said. “I’ve been doing swing for a year now, and it’s been great. Every week we always do something different and it’s something that everyone can do.” 

Dancing in front of others can be intimidating, but the group makes sure to welcome new members by starting simple and creating an environment where laughing is encouraged and fumbling is always acceptable. 

“When I tell people, ‘you should come to swing dance,’ their response usually is ‘I can’t dance.’ I once said the same thing, and now I can,” Just a Swing Thing Treasurer Tom McNeilly said. “We never want people to not come back because they’re nervous or because there are other people who are doing so much better.”

Though swing dancing is a partner dance, no dancing experience or partner is required to join the organization.

“I’ve noticed there aren’t many dance clubs on campus that are as open and inviting as this one,” Hayward said. “It doesn’t matter if you’re doing the dance right. If you’re smiling, you’re doing something right.”

McNeilly, Hayward and Drain all agree that their dancing skills have improved since joining the group. Dance, like most other skills, takes practice and repetition to master.  

“The first time I came here, I was so bad,” Hayward said. “I was really stressed, but James came up to me and told me, ‘I was the same way, just keep doing it and it’ll get better.’ I thought, ‘well if you were really horrible, maybe I’ll be okay eventually.’ I kept coming back and one day, the light bulb went off.”

Just like jazz and rock and roll, swing dancing originated in Harlem and helped define generations by challenging racial barriers. Over the years, swing slowly disappeared from mainstream culture. Now, the style is making a comeback and Just a Swing Thing is helping to revive a dying art. 

“I think a kind, open community that is willing to accept you for who you are is something that can be hard to find,” Hayward said. “We’re willing to take you in. Come as you are -- open heart, open mind and let’s make it happen.”