Prosecuting attorney candidates discuss goals, outlooks for November election

screen-shot-2018-10-12-at-2-10-16-pm
Larry King and David Barberi

On Nov. 6, voters can choose between Democrat Larry King and Republican David Barberi for the position of Isabella County Prosecuting Attorney.

The position was vacated by Risa Hunt-Scully after she left the prosecutor's office in February to take a position at the Michigan Attorney General’s office, half-way through her second term. Barberi won the primary election in August, beating out fellow Republican candidates David Gilbert and Robert Holmes.

David Barberi studied as an undergrad at Central Michigan University, later earning his Juris Doctorate from Thomas Jefferson School of Law. Barberi worked as a public defender and at his father’s firm, Barberi Law. He has also served on Mount Pleasant Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors and as President of the Isabella County Bar Association. 

His opponent, Larry King, is a 2008 graduate from Wayne State University, and graduated Cum Laude from Ohio Northern University Law School in 2014. While in law school, King worked in the Wexford and Grand Traverse county prosecutors' offices, and has served as an assistant prosecutor in Isabella County since 2014.

In Michigan, the county prosecuting attorney is tasked with representing the government in court. The office is independent of the state attorney general. A prosecutor is the chief law enforcement official in Isabella County.

CM Life: "What would you wish to achieve in the role of prosecuting attorney?"

David Barberi:  "As Prosecuting Attorney, I would work toward improving the way office staff interacts and serves members of our community.  My top priority for the office would be to improve the general public sentiment for our county’s Prosecutor’s Office by earning the community’s respect and trust. I envision an office where people want to work; an environment that promotes collegiality and professionalism amongst staff and adversarial counsel alike.

As the leader of the office, I plan to make myself and my staff visible in the community by appearing at public functions and supporting local law enforcement efforts.  I will encourage my staff to create bonds with members of the community and I plan to create programming geared toward victims’ rights and general improvement of the well-being of our county’s residents.

It’s my hope that as the Prosecuting Attorney, I would be able to positively impact the lives of all of our county’s residents by protecting the rights of victims, as well as offering services and assistance, when appropriate, to help rehabilitate those individuals who have found their way into the criminal justice system."

Larry King: "I believe in a smarter, more targeted approach to criminal justice. I want to see our office focus more resources on violent offenders and those who threaten the safety and security of our community. To do this we need to adjust our focus and increase efficiency.

I want to change internal processes in the office and streamline case assignments and scheduling, so that we can devote more time and resources where they have the most impact. I want to use my management and leadership skills to improve interoffice communication, and I want to see more training at all levels within the office.

I also believe we need to take a different approach with minor, youthful and non-violent offenders. I have seen too many young, mentally ill and poor people trapped in the criminal justice system for minor offenses that could be handled in other ways. These people are at high risk of re-offending and the current system is not good at preventing that from happening.

For first time and minor offenders, I want to expand our use of pre-charging diversion. I believe that in many cases we can hold offenders accountable and prevent them from re-offending without involving them in the court system and creating criminal records. The City of Mount Pleasant has a robust and successful pre-charging diversion program that can serve as a model, and our office already has a limited diversion program that we can build upon. I also believe in the expanded use of treatment courts. Isabella county has a drug court program, but It is only used for 3rd offense drunk driving cases. I want to work with the court and the drug treatment court team and expand the use of this program. Additionally I plan to work with the court to expand the treatment court offerings in this county. I would like to see a veterans’ court and a mental health court implemented in some form in Isabella County.

I also want to see more community outreach and involvement at the prosecutor’s office. I want to strengthen relationships between the public, other government entities, service organizations and the prosecutors office. Currently the office hosts one annual public event. I would like to host public outreach events at least quarterly. I feel that to be an effective public servant you must have open channels of communication with the people you serve."

What is the driving force behind your candidacy?

Barberi: The driving force behind my candidacy is to serve and give back to the community that has given so much to me.  From my current position in the private sector, I have seen things that have caused me to be concerned about the culture and philosophy of our prosecutor’s office.  I have witnessed what I consider to be a poor allocation of resources when prioritizing which cases to try and taking to trial losing cases.  Additionally, I have witnessed lackluster witness preparation, and, in my opinion, unnecessary overcharging.  Too often, I have seen petty crimes being prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, while serious criminals are afforded significant plea offers.

King: From an early age my parents taught me to value and revere our legal system. I believe strongly in the rule of law and our system of justice. I also believe in giving back to the community through the use of my skills and education. I want to serve my community and make a positive impact on others.  This is why I pursued a career in criminal justice and prosecution.

As an assistant prosecutor I love the work I do. I get to fight for what is right and just. Every day I work hard to enforce our laws, hold offenders accountable and give a voice to those who have been victimized. However, in my time working in the Isabella County Prosecutor’s Office I have seen several things that we can do better. I know that I have the skills and vision to change this office for the better. That is why I am running. I want to create a better and more just criminal justice system here in Isabella County.

What do you think separates you from the other candidate?

Barberi: My experience as a defense attorney gives me a unique perspective.  I understand what it’s like to be on both sides of the law and the effects a criminal prosecution has on an individual’s life. 

In addition to that, I believe my leadership, ability to communicate, and people skills set me apart from the other candidate.  I believe that leaders are created by the values they hold and the character they consistently exhibit by the day-to-day acts they perform, or equally as important, don’t perform.  Effective communication isn’t just knowing what to say and how to say it, effective communication also requires the ability to listen to what others are saying, as well as what they are not.  This skill is important to being a leader, as leaders need to be able to effectively communicate their goals, as well as a clear plan to achieve those goals and garner support for their vision.

Furthermore, I am a lifelong resident of our community. I attended Central Michigan University, and upon graduating from law school in San Diego, returned home to raise my family.   I believe that my knowledge and understanding of our community will assist me in addressing needs and improving the quality of life for residents and students alike. My involvement in local organizations, service on non-profit boards and volunteering my time evidences my commitment to my community and its residents. 

King: My experience sets me apart. I currently serve as an assistant prosecutor. I have the legal skills necessary to do the job effectively. I have devoted my legal career to criminal prosecution. I have prosecuted over 4,000 cases in Isabella County. Before coming to the Isabella County Prosecutor’s Office I interned in the Wexford and Grand Traverse County Prosecutors’ Offices. I have also attended over 100 hours of continuing education and training devoted to prosecution. I have earned certificates of achievement from the Prosecuting Attorneys’ Association of Michigan in advanced OWI prosecution, domestic violence trial advocacy, and visual trial skills.

The prosecuting attorney is also the leader of a team; I have the business leadership skills necessary to effectively lead the office. I have formal business management training. I hold a Master of Business Administration degree, and previously worked for a large technology company as a manager where I managed both people and projects.

As an attorney, what is your approach to dealing with cases of sexual assault?

Barberi: Sexual assault is one of the most serious crimes in our society.  As such, as an attorney, I approach cases of this nature with careful consideration, diligent preparation, and the utmost attention to every detail.  I would take this same level of professionalism and work ethic into the prosecutor’s office.

King: Sexual assault cases must be taken seriously. It takes an immense amount of bravery for a survivor of sexual assault to come forward and tell their story; when they do we owe it to them to make sure these cases are handled properly. Survivors must be heard, and respected. Their allegations must be investigated fully and taken seriously by law enforcement at all levels up to and including prosecutors. As a prosecutor it is important that our office works closely with police to assure we can effectively prosecute these cases when they are reported.

Crimes of sexual assault can be exceedingly difficult to prosecute, and they often require the use of scientific evidence and expert witnesses. This does not mean we should shy away from them. I believe we need to devote all necessary time and resources into the prosecution of these type of cases.This includes updating the skill-set of our prosecutors in this area. There are statewide trainings offered by the Prosecuting Attorneys Association of Michigan Violence Against Women Project and other agencies aimed at providing prosecutors with the skills they need to effectively prosecute these difficult cases. I want to see members of the prosecutors office regularly attending these trainings so that we can be more effective in dealing with these critical cases.