State representative candidates share views, campaign goals

compiled

Roger Hauck and Kristen Brown.

Democrat and winner of the August Primary Kristen Brown will be running against incumbent State House Rep. Roger Hauck in the Nov. 6 election.

Brown was born and raised in Mount Pleasant, graduating from Mount Pleasant High School in 1985. She has a Bachelor of Arts in political science/pre-law degree from Michigan State University. Brown earned her Juris Doctor from Detroit College of Law and has worked as a lawyer for 23 years. 

Hauck grew up on a farm in Beal City and graduated from Beal City High School. Before being elected to the Michigan House of Representatives in 2016, Hauck worked as a line technician for 24 years at the Delfield Company.

As the state representative for the 99th District, the winner of the Nov. 6 election will have the power to introduce and vote on bills that represent the interests of the people within their voting district, as well as create, modify and update laws. 

Central Michigan Life had the opportunity to ask both candidates a few questions about the goals for the position and stances on controversial issues.

CM Life: Where do you stand of the legalization of marijuana for recreational use? 

Kristen Brown: I support the legalization of marijuana for recreational use and will be voting yes on Proposition 1. I believe that passage of this proposal will free up our law enforcement to focus on more critical needs in our community and will provide revenue for our schools and roads. 

Roger Hauck: I don’t necessarily oppose it, but I have some mixed feelings about the ballot proposal. I don’t think it’s going to generate the amount of revenue folks are expecting and I think we will have some significant issues with substance abuse. That being said, I think we have over-criminalized marijuana .

If elected, how much attention will you give to laws that aim to protect the environment? 

Brown: Environmental protection will be one of my top priorities as a lawmaker. I will support legislation that provides stronger protections for our Great Lakes. I support shutting down the Line 5 pipeline. Fixing our water infrastructure is key to ensuring access to clean water for all residents. I would also like to expand renewable energy in Michigan.

Hauck: As a State Representative, I feel like I have taken environmental issues in our district very seriously. First, I was able to secure $3 million dollars for a sewer system in Nottawa Township that will stop raw sewage flowing into the Chippewa River. Second, I supported more funding and resources to investigate and treat areas impacted by PFAS.

If elected, how would approach the issue of state funding for higher education? 

Brown: Our state needs to dramatically increase funding levels for higher education. When I was attending college our state covered about 80 percent of tuition costs. That number has fallen below 20 percent today. As a state, we must prioritize higher education funding over corporate tax breaks in our budget.

Hauck: I supported an across the board increase in higher education funding in this year’s budget and I will continue to support further increases. In addition, I would also like to see a change in how the money is divided between the so-called “Big-3” research institutions and the 12 other public universities. A majority of students who graduate from institutions like Central Michigan University stay in Michigan after they graduate and I would like to see the distribution of money take that into account.

What is your position on gun control, and/or the right of American citizens to own firearms for self-defense and personal use?  

Brown: I support the right of citizens to keep and bear arms. Hunting is an important pastime for many Michigan families, and mine is no exception. My family has made a lot of great memories hunting together. While I recognize the importance of upholding our Second Amendment rights, I also believe in the need for common-sense gun reforms like expanding background checks and closing the gun show loophole.

Hauck: I am strong supporter of the Second Amendment.

What would be your biggest goal as state representative? 

Brown: It’s challenging to identify a single goal as taking precedence over all others because I recognize a need for hard work on so many issues. Having said that, it’s critical that we expand and advance measures to make our government more transparent and accountable to the people. Michigan ranks last in the nation for government ethics and transparency laws, which I find both concerning and shameful.

Hauck: My number one priority is reforming auto no-fault insurance. We are the most expensive state in the nation for auto-insurance and we’re $1,000 more than the second highest state.

What separates you from the candidates you’re running against?

Brown: In his first term, my opponent has demonstrated his loyalty to special interests and has followed the lead of others in his party. I believe in government that serves the needs of the people they serve above all else. Our district deserves to have an effective leader and advocate fighting for the issues that matter most to our citizens.

Hauck: I come from a working class background. I grew up on a farm, I was a union factory for 25 years, and I know what it’s like to struggle to make ends meet. I think those experiences have given me a unique perspective that I don’t share with many of my colleagues.