Hudson breaks record, CMU gets by EMU

kjt-1468

Senior guard Presley Hudson prepares to pump fake a defender moments before breaking the all-time scoring record for Central Michigan Women's basketball. The game against Eastern Michigan took place on Jan. 26 at McGuirk Arena. 

Senior guard Presley Hudson sent McGuirk Arena into a frenzy with a 2-pointer from the top of the key. It gave her the career scoring record at Central Michigan. 

It also helped the Chippewas (14-5, 5-2 Mid-American Conference) to a 71-61 victory over rival Eastern Michigan (10-8, 3-4). 

The Eagles and Chippewas started out going back-and-forth in the first five minutes of the first quarter. Danielle Minott hit a 3-pointer to open the scoring, then Reyna Frost responded with a jumper from the short corner. 

Hudson hit a triple from the left wing to give CMU the lead for good at 18-16 with 1:17 to play in the opening frame. Those were her first points of the day. Hudson would then break the record 38 seconds later. 

"It was an accomplishment that I wanted to do when I came into Central as a freshman," Hudson said. "It was nice to be able to accomplish that."

CMU utilized a 20-7 scoring run from the middle of the first quarter, that lasted for over 12 minutes. Hudson, Frost and Kelly led the way during the run, which was capped off by a Hudson layup. 

In the final two minutes of the first half, it was the Eagles who went on a quick scoring flurry. Minott hit three straight triples to help give EMU a 12-4 run to close the first half. 

"We struggled with (defense) in the beginning of the game," Hudson said. "It was kind of up and down, but we want to keep it up at all times." 

As the teams went to the locker room, CMU led 35-28. Frost and Hudson led the way for the Chippewas with 13 and 12 points, respectively. 

The second half was more of the Hudson and Frost show. Frost opened the frame with a layup and hit a 3-pointer as a part of her 11 points in the third quarter. CMU outscored the Eagles 19-16 in the third quarter to extend its lead to 54-44. 

"That's what other teams that play us have to figure out," Frost said speaking about her connection with Hudson. "Are you going to take me rolling and popping or are you going to let Presley shoot the three? We read it really well and we play really well together." 

Frost continued her dominance in the final quarter. She scored five points with a layup and a triple as a part of a 13-2 run the Chippewas went on to start the fourth quarter. The run, which lasted for just over four minutes, saw contributions from Hudson and freshman center Jahari Smith. 

Smith ended up with a double-double with 10 points and 12 rebounds. Frost led the way with a double-double of her own with a game-high 26 points and 14 rebounds, six of them on the offensive end. Hudson ended the day with 21 points and six assists. 

Kelly turned on her offensive firepower in the last five minutes of the fourth quarter. She scored five of her 11 points with a layup and triple to extend the Chippewa lead to 18. 

The Eagles ended the game on a 10-4 run capped off by a 3-pointer from Jenna Annecchiarico. 

"I was concerned about this game," head coach Sue Guevara said. "Eastern Michigan is very athletic and they have some very nice players. The way we shot the ball, rebounding was imperative, we had 17 offensive rebounds. We didn't shoot it well, we had wide open threes that did not go in." 

CMU hits the road for its next game at 7 p.m. on Jan. 30 to take on the Bowling Green Falcons in the Stroh Center.