Hundreds gather for MLK peace march, brunch

dsc-0263-1
CMU students lead the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. CommUNITY March from the Bovee University Center on Monday, Jan. 21, 2019.

Central Michigan University’s annual Martin Luther King Week celebration kicked off Monday with a brunch and peace march through campus. 

The purpose of both the brunch and the march was to remember the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King and promote unity and equality on CMU's campus. Martin Luther King Day is a day dedicated to celebrating the life and legacy of one of America’s most iconic civil rights leaders. 

CMU students participate in the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. CommUNITY March near Pearce Hall on Monday, Jan. 21, 2019.

Central Michigan University President Robert Davies delivered welcomed attendees at the brunch. He explained the importance of building an inclusive environment that values and celebrates everyone’s differences.  

“It is up to us, to create and maintain an environment at Central Michigan University where people of all kinds are treated fairly,” Davies Said. “While we have taken significant steps, it is clear to me and it should be clear to all of us we can do more to cultivating that environment and creating the necessary dialogue.”

CMU students participate in the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. CommUNITY March near the Bovee University Center on Monday, Jan. 21, 2019.

The brunch had performances from Christ Central Choir, Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc., Detroit Senior Charde Goins and a keynote speech from Central Michigan University Professor Dr. Rene Shingles.

The march began in the Bovee University Center at 3 p.m. Unlike previous years, the march went around campus and back to Finch Fieldhouse as opposed to going downtown. Due to inclement weather conditions, the march was cut short. 

When the march reached Finch Fieldhouse, everyone gathered and listened as Assistant Director of Multicultural Student Services Jonathan Glenn gave the opening remarks. 

The march featured speeches from both students and faculty. It saw students from all different backgrounds joined together to celebrate the legacy of Dr. King. 

Graduate student Cyrus Jones says that it’s important to continue to strive for unity because we have a long way to go.

“The things that he was fighting for have not happened yet,” Jones said. “We need to continue to strive for unity because racism and oppression are still happening.” 

Glenn believes that having this event every year is crucial because if the message of nonviolence isn’t consistently preached then history could repeat itself. 

“If we don’t talk about unity and if we don’t talk about nonviolent movements, then it’s easy to forget and go to the militant ways of trying to communicate cross culture,” Glenn said.