Mount Pleasant expecting 2-4 inches of snow and freezing rain this week

A large winter storm and is about to blow over Mid-Michigan, so prepare the winter boots. 

There is an expected 2-4 inches of snow coming to Mount Pleasant over the span of Tuesday night and Wednesday morning, said Ernie Ostuno, a meteorologist from the Grand Rapids National Weather Service Station. He said temperatures will rise tonight above freezing before falling back down again. The National Weather Service website has an advisory for freezing rain.

Most of the snowfall will be Tuesday night and Wednesday morning, but he did say there will be more snowfall scattered throughout the week.

Concerns were raised last week about winter conditions, mainly regarding ice. Jonathan Webb, vice president for facilities management, said safety concerns are taken seriously.

“CMU takes all safety concerns seriously, including winter storms,” Webb said.

Webb said when large winter storms come through campus, they clear what’s called a “critical path" for access to all facilities on campus.

From there, Facilities Management will send out early-morning crews to clear the snow and ice.

The are a few tricks students can try while walking through slippery conditions. Ostuno said to walk in footsteps of people who had walked their previously. 

Rachel Blizzard, Director for Marketing and Fund Development at McLaren, said a trick given to their employees is to “walk like a duck." This means taking smaller and slower steps with their feet pointed outwards and away from each other. This keeps body evenly distributed weight on the feet.

School was not closed last week, since the sidewalks and roads were accessible, Webb said.

“CMU staff responded last week with salt to help mitigate the effects of the ice storm and therefore university staff and administrators — working closely with CMUPD and other local authorities — determined the university would remain open as roads, parking lots and sidewalks were accessible,” Webb said.

He said if anyone sees anything that needs attention, they should contact the Facilities Management Service Center at 774-1867 or e-mail FMRepair@cmich.edu.

Courtesy photo. This is the critical path that is cleared for ice and snow.