On-campus construction projects completed over break

spring-2019-bts-edition

Repainted walls and replaced flooring tiles are ready to welcome students to another semester Jan. 3 in Moore Hall.

Students returning to Central Michigan University for the Spring 2019 semester may notice a few changes around campus. 

Facilities Management completed a list of construction projects over winter break, using the empty campus as an opportunity to complete projects while students were gone.

"We try to make use of all the holiday breaks to do construction," said Jonathan Webb, associate vice president of Facilities Management. "We try to avoid disrupting classes or doing major work while students are here."

The predominant amount of work done on campus is completed over summer break, he said.

Moore Hall was the only academic building on campus to receive construction over the break. Students may notice a change in the floor tiles on the first floor, as well as a fresh coat of paint on the walls. 

Shelves of awards that lined the first floor wall are currently removed. There are no plans to use that space to add additional seating on the first floor hall at this time, Webb said. 

Construction also continued to the Center for Integrated Health Studies being built in addition to the Health Professions Building. Projects completed to the building over break included adding a fire suppression system, metal framing, as well as some work on the roof. 

The Center for Integrated Health Studies is a $26 million project set to be completed by September 2019.

In addition to work around campus on academic buildings, some minor work was done in several offices of Warriner Hall. Projects like these are typical for a building as old as Warriner, Webb said. 

Several residence halls also received minor work over the break. The North and South Quad Residence Halls received access control work on exterior doors. Several dormitory rooms in the East Complex Residence Halls were closed at intermittent times, as mechanical repairs were done over break.