The Incredible Dr. Pol makes sixth appearance at CMU

Nat Geo Wild star speaks about his tv show, veterinary work

dr-pol-2019-3

Dr. Jan Pol (left), of Nat Geo Wild's "The Incredible Dr. Pol," poses with his wife Diane Pol (right) and Morley senior Jacob Fishel before speaking Feb. 5 in Anspach 161. 

Years ago, Jan Pol was first thrown into the spotlight when his son directed a camera crew to follow his career as a veterinarian. Today, he is known as Nat Geo Wild's The Incredible Dr. Pol. 

On Feb. 5 from 7-8 p.m., Pol spoke in Anspach 161 about his work as a veterinarian and his time on his television show. The event was sponsored by CMU’s Rotaract Club, and this is the sixth year Pol has been invited to speak at CMU. 

“We’ve had a really good relationship with Pol through both our CMU Rotaract club and also the Mount Pleasant Rotary Club," said Frankenmuth senior Julie Dukovich, president of the Rotaract Club. "He brings great comradery, and the campus and the local community love him."

Pol’s son, Charles, went to film school and eventually moved to Hollywood. From there, his son came up with the idea to film Pol’s veterinary work. Eventually, a four-minute DVD was created and was shown to different television stations until Nat Geo Wild decided to take on the show. 

Pol claims the main difference between his show and others is that everything done on The Incredible Dr. Pol is genuine.

“I think the main thing is when Charles came here first he said ‘Dad do your work. That’s interesting enough, don’t look at the camera’, and this is what it is,” Pol said. “We are not doing anything for the camera. They just take and film what we do and I think that’s the difference. Nothing is made up for the camera.”

Throughout the evening, Pol spoke of his experiences helping give birth to calves, treating someone’s pet chicken, and even working with a rodeo bull. 

The bull’s horn completely fell off during a rodeo, he said. The horn was taped together until Pol was able to treat the bull. The horn had to be completely removed and stitched up.

He talked about how hard it was to sedate the bull and eventually how mean the bull was after claiming “that unicorn was the meanest thing."

This comment created a positive response from the audience and throughout the rest of the night, the crowd was laughing at Pol’s jokes.

Although Pol joked around, he did bring up important topics he felt strongly about, such as affordable pet care. 

He believes it is important for kids to grow up with animals. Also, he believes that animals can teach children things humans cannot. 

Pol said he does not believe a family should have to decide between taking a pet to the veterinarian and putting food on the table. At the end of the day the animal suffers in that choice, he said.

For some students in the audience, like Frankenmuth freshman Sarah Richmond, this event was a way to prepare for her future career. 

“I’m part of the CMU Pre-Vet Club and I’ve always wanted to be a veterinarian," Richmond said. "I haven’t actually seen a lot of his show, but (I thought) it would just be really interesting to get a different perspective on veterinarians and what they do in their life."

As for other students, this event was a way to meet one of their favorite television celebrities.

“My dad loves Dr. Pol and it’s something we watch together," said Troy junior Jack Canny. "Whenever I’m home we’ll just turn it on TV. So I went, because I love Dr. Pol and because I want to get a picture with him and send it to my dad."

When it comes to advice for students aspiring to be veterinarians, Pol recommends gaining experience and being certain the choice is the right decision. 

“Make sure that if you’re becoming a veterinarian that that’s what you want," he said. "Volunteer here and there, work with animals, see that you know how to handle animals. You have to know how animals will react to you."