Softball opens MAC Tournament with win over Northern Illinois

womenssoftball4-19-19-24

Senior second baseman Rachel Vieira throws out a Northern Illinois batter at first base April 19 at Margo Jonker Stadium.

Senior leadership was the difference for the No. 5 Central Michigan softball team as it opened the Mid-American Conference Tournament with a win, advancing past No. 4 Northern Illinois. 

Second baseman Rachel Vieira was strong for the Chippewas (21-26-1) as she led her squad to a 6-5 victory over the Huskies (26-23) at Firestone Stadium in Akron, Ohio. 

Vieira, a Clarkston native, was 3-of-4 from the plate against the Huskies that included a two-run single in the first inning, another hit in the third and a triple to right-center field in the sixth inning. 

Senior first baseman Erika Underwood showcased discipline at the plate. Underwood was 1-of-2 and drew two walks in the first and sixth innings.

Her base knock in the third inning scored senior center fielder Allison Curtis which tied the game at three runs apiece.

NIU returned fire in the bottom of the first inning by scoring two runs after CMU scored two runs of its own. The Huskies then took the lead in the second inning with an RBI single from Jenny Van Geertry. 

In the bottom of the fifth inning, the Huskies broke the tie with two runs with base hits from Abby Howlett and Kayla Scaperrotta to take a 5-3 lead. 

The Chippewas began to claw back in the top of the sixth inning as junior shortstop Morgan Gardner lined out to right but scored a run in the process and plated Vieira. Senior left fielder Sara Hansen reached on an error from the NIU shortstop and tied the game at 5-5. 

Next, Underwood earned her second RBI of the game. That run was the deciding factor in the sixth inning. She was walked by NIU right-hander Mackenzie Bryan (L, 14-13) and scored junior Bella Robles. 

Freshman right-hander Kaitlyn Bean took over the game from starter sophomore right-hander Samantha Howell. Howell was charged with all five runs (all earned) and allowed seven hits in 5 1/3 innings. 

Bean (W, 8-6) struck out one and allowed two hits without yielding and runs. 

CMU coach Margo Jonker said that the first round victory was a roller coaster of emotions. With starting out hot and losing the lead twice before winning the tilt in the sixth inning. Jonker gave credit to her senior class. 

"I think it was very emotional, especially for our seniors, to get it done," Jonker said. "A number of different people got hits and we were able to change our strategy." 

The Chippewas will advance in the winner's bracket where they await the winner of the No. 1 Miami (OH) and No. 8 Western Michigan matchup. That game will be contested at 1 p.m. on May 9 at Firestone Stadium in Akron, Ohio.