Gymnast Denelle Pedrick dazzles internationally

gymnastics-senior-night-2019-38

All-around gymnast Danelle Pedrick performs during floor exercise during Central Michigan University gymnastics' meet against Northern Illinois University March 15 in McGuirk Arena.  

Denelle Pedrick, a junior on the Central Michigan gymnastics team, continued her success with a strong performance at the 30th World University games in Naples, Italy. 

Pedrick represented Canada, her native country, and placed seventh in the all-around by scoring a 49.800. The highest-scoring event was the vault, where she posted a 14.250 and finished runner-up. 

She finished sixth on the floor exercise (12.300), eighth on the balance beam (12.000) and 15th on the parallel uneven bars (11.250).

Central Michigan coach Christine MacDonald said that Pedrick's drive and passion have led to success throughout her career.

"I am so proud of Denelle and all of her accomplishments," MacDonald said. "She is a great ambassador for our university, and she continues to represent CMU and our gymnastics program at the highest levels."

Pedrick had a stellar campaign in 2019 being named the Mid-American Conference Gymnast of the Year and was named First Team All-MAC honors. She took home MAC championships in the all-around and the vault last season. 

The World University games, also the Summer Universiade, is an international university sports and cultural event that is staged every two years in a different city. The games draw many thousands of student-athletes together to compete, making it one of the largest multi-sport events in the world.