Chastain: How Chippewas will go 7-5 this season, game-by-game

austin-mug

The new era of Central Michigan football under coach Jim McElwain is here and it finally begins Aug. 29 against Albany in Kelly/Shorts Stadium. 

After a 2018 season to forget, the 2019 Chippewas hit the field for the first time in nine months after their season-ending, brawl-filled game at Toledo. 

Now, CMU has new leadership and a reinvigorated roster and looks to right the ship and put the program back on track. 

Central Michigan Life assistant sports editor Austin Chastain beaks down the 2019 Central Michigan football season.

Aug. 29 vs. Albany

My prediction: Win

CMU 34, UA 7

The Great Danes struggled last season and will most likely continue those issues this season. 

McElwain and company will take an easy win to open the season. 

Sept. 7 at Wisconsin

My prediction: Loss

UW 34, CMU 31

One aspect of last year's team that could get overlooked was its competitiveness. 

The fact that this game is so early in the season will keep it close. Jonathan Taylor might be one of the best running backs in the game and the Badger offense will prove to be the difference in a wildly close game. 

Sept. 14 vs. Akron

My prediction: Win

CMU 28, AKRN 20

After the close game Badgers the week prior, CMU will come out a flat against the Zips, who take a double-digit lead to the half. 

But the second half will be the Quinten Dormady show at quarterback, and he will lead the Chippewas to victory in the Mid-American Conference opener. 

Sept. 21 at Miami (FL)

My prediction: Loss

MIA 45, CMU 14

The Hurricanes looked decent in their season opener against Florida. Despite the sloppy nature of that game, they kept up with the Gators, ultimately losing by four but had a chance to win on the final drive.

Given how the 'Canes played that game, they can only get better from there - and they will. 

This one will get ugly, and do so quickly. 

Sept. 28 at Western Michigan

My prediction: Win

CMU 23, WMU 20

The Broncos were a good team last season, injuries plagued them late in the season with quarterback Jon Wassink going down. 

His return will spark the Broncos, but the Chippewa offense will counter the veteran WMU squad and steal the Victory Cannon from Kalamazoo. 

Oct. 5 vs. Eastern Michigan

My prediction: Win

CMU 27, EMU 17

The Michigan MAC championship is on the line as the Chippewas return home to face the Eagles. 

CMU will force the issue on the defensive side to stifle EMU, force a couple of turnovers and cruise to a rebounding victory over the in-state rival. 

Oct. 12 vs. New Mexico State

My prediction: Win

CMU 35, NMSU 10

The Aggie offensive line is generally a weak point so the Chippewa defense will run rampant and get to quarterback Josh Adkins early and often. 

CMU will coast to a resounding victory on homecoming, its first since 2016. Most importantly, it will become bowl eligible with the win. 

Oct. 19 at Bowling Green

My prediction: Loss

BGSU 23, CMU 17

After a great start to the season, the second half of the season is going to be a lot tougher for CMU. While the Falcons might not be great this year, they will get to the Chippewas late and steal a victory at home. 

Oct. 26 at Buffalo

My prediction: Loss

UB 45, CMU 24

Buffalo has been one of the best teams in the conference of late. Last season, CMU was somewhat competitive with the Bulls at Kelly/Shorts Stadium but fell short. 

This one will be close early on, but Buffalo will pull away in the second half. 

Nov. 2 vs. Northern Illinois

My prediction: Win

CMU 23, NIU 14

Each of the last three games in this series has been decided by one possession or fewer. 

Look for more of the same competitive nature in this game, with the Chippewas and Huskies trade momentum swings throughout. CMU will score a late touchdown to secure the much-needed victory. 

Nov. 16 at Ball State

My prediction: Win

CMU 48, BSU 13

The Mike Neu era in Muncie has not been particularly kind to the Cardinals. A 10-26 record has bred mediocrity for BSU and that will continue against CMU after stealing a road victory last season. 

The Chippewas will dominate this one from the outset, look for it to be an ugly game, too. 

Nov. 29 vs. Toledo

My prediction: Loss

UT 34, CMU 20

This series has an interesting history, the Rockets have won nine straight and have done so by double digits all but once in 2015. 

Despite the scores, the games have been close. Look for much of the same this season, as the two teams will likely trade the lead for three quarters. Then Toledo will extend the lead in the fourth quarter to win by double digits again. 

The Chippewas will finish the regular season 7-5, 4-4 in the MAC and third in the West Division standings.