David Moore shines, Central Michigan wins first conference game in 659 days

lrm-export-45317792909306-20190914-172912362

Central Michigan wide receiver Kalil Pimpleton celebrates with teammates after catching a touchdown pass from quarterback David Moore against Akron Sept. 14 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

David Moore handed the football to slot receiver Kalil Pimpleton on the second offensive play, and that was the beginning of an impressive overall performance from the Chippewas.

Pimpleton, a quarterback in his high school days, controlled the ball and launched a 28-yard completion to fellow receiver Tyrone Scott.

"That was play two of the first eight," said CMU coach Jim McElwain. "We've been working it for a couple of weeks and felt it was game ready."

While the drive stalled due to a penalty, it showcased the electric and dynamic offense that eventually paced the Central Michigan football team to a 45-24 win over Akron in its Mid-American Conference opener Saturday at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

For the first time in 659 days, CMU walked off the field victorious in a conference battle.

"To see the change was something that was great to see," McElwain said. "Our guys played to win the game. Our guys played their tails off." 

Moore was starting his first career college game after spending time at Memphis and Garden City Community College. The only reason he played was due to an injury sustained by usual starter Quinten Dormady in a 61-0 loss to Wisconsin last weekend.

And, oh boy, did Moore ever make the most of his opportunity.

The 6-foot-2, 180-pound junior quarterback finished 20-of-31 passing for 316 yards and two touchdowns. He didn’t turn the ball over.

But it wasn’t just the offense. The defense shined, as well.

Moore threw the first touchdown pass of his Central career to tight end Tony Poljan in the corner of the end zone for a 2-yard score, giving the Chippewas a 17-0 lead. The play was set up by a defensive interception from lineman Sean Adesanya, which he returned 49 yards with 12:49 left in the second quarter.

On Poljan’s touchdown, the tight end barley kept his feet inbounds. 

"My first touchdown pass was something we had been doing the whole year," Moore said. "We've got great players. Tony Poljan is obviously an easy target to throw to. He made my job a whole lot easier."

Earlier in the game, on the third offensive drive, the Chippewas went up 10-0 after Moore made long throws to Pimpleton on third down and Poljan to get in scoring position. 

Then, it was starting running back Kobe Lewis, the replacement for injured senior Jonathan Ward, who found the end zone on a 4-yard carry with 14:15 remaining in the second quarter. On the drive prior, Ryan Tice made a 24-yard field goal to open the scoring.

While Moore may have stolen the spotlight for his quarterbacking, Lewis ended with 27 carries for 148 yards and three touchdowns. He added three receptions for 37 yards.

"It took all the pressure off of me," Moore said. "The offensive line really made it easy for myself and Kobe. He did a heck of a job."

Moore continued his dominance, and he showcased his skillset in the two-minute drill at the end of the first half. After Akron kicker Jerry Fitschen and Tice traded field goals to make it a 20-3 edge for CMU, the Chippewas found themselves 79 yards away from the end zone with 2:04 remaining.

Of course, it was Moore who threw a missile to Pimpleton for a 35-yard touchdown. The Chippewas managed 79 yards on seven plays, only taking 1:27 off the clock.

Pimpleton led CMU's receivers with seven catches for 116 yards and a touchdown. Poljan added five receptions for 90 yards and a score of his own. Scott logged 82 yards.

Akron got its first offensive break as quarterback Kato Nelson hit Dustin Burkhart, who burned cornerback Darius Bracy, for a 40-yard gain to the CMU 2-yard line without much time on the clock.

With two seconds left, Nelson dropped back, took his time and found tight end Maverick Wolfley over the middle for a 5-yard touchdown, but CMU still held a convincing 27-10 lead at the break.

Nelson finished the game 19-of-33 passing for 202 yards, two touchdowns and one interception. He was also the leading rusher with 14 carries for 31 yards.

The Chippewas sacked Nelson six times, and the defense brought an intensity that stemmed from a conversation at the team dinner Friday night.

"I had a conversation with coach and told him, 'Let's go defense first if we win the toss,'" said senior linebacker Michael Oliver. "I wanted to send a message early and set the tone that we weren't the same team as a week ago."

To open the second-half scoring, Tice remained automatic with his leg, connecting on a 35-yard field goal with 6:00 left in the third.

CMU held a 30-10 lead, and it stayed the way until the 11:15 mark of the fourth quarter when the Zips put seven points on the scoreboard.

Nelson found tight end Brandon Junk for a 3-yard score, cutting the Chippewas' lead to 30-17 with 11:15 remaining in the game.

Nevertheless, Moore responded.

Seven plays for 75 yards throughout 3:36 was enough for a touchdown and two-point conversion, pushing the Chippewas to a 38-17 edge with 7:39 left.

During the drive, Moore completed a 28-yard pass to Poljan, who caught the ball after it was tipped around, and a 33-yard strike to Lewis. And on the very next play, it was Lewis that ran the ball 11 yards to the house.

Pimpleton caught the two-point conversion from Moore.

"I thought our guys took it to them," McElwain said. "We imposed our will at times, which is something that really good teams learn to do. It's something we have to continue moving forward with."

Nelson added another touchdown to his resume with 3:43 left in the game, and the Zips recovered an onside kick. 

However, it wasn't enough. 

When CMU got the ball back, it went 45 yards on two plays for a touchdown and 45-24 lead. Each yard was gained by Lewis.

With solid offense and defense working together, the Chippewas outlasted Akron's late push for their first conference win since Nov. 24, 2017.

"Right now, for the next 24 hours, I told our team, 'Man, go enjoy this. It's been a long time since we've had a MAC victory,'" McElwain said.

"Then, let's get back to work tomorrow."