Mauled in Madison: No. 17 Badgers dominate Chippewas, 61-0

lrm-export-19324595449913-20190907-175735683

Central Michigan running back Romello Ross is stood up by the Wisconsin defense in the fourth quarter Sept. 7 at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison, Wisconsin.

There were not many bright spots for the Central Michigan football team against No. 17 Wisconsin. 

In fact, there were none. 

The Chippewas (1-1) struggled to a 61-0 loss at the hands of the Badgers (2-0) in Camp Randall Stadium. It was the first time the Chippewas were shut out since Oct. 19, 2002, against Northern Illinois. 

First-year coach Jim McElwain said he was more disappointed in the way his team played but not its effort. 

"I thought we would've played better," he said. "But we did not. It is what it is, and we've got to pick ourselves back up."

Central was not able to move the ball much at all, and it was not able to stop Wisconsin star running back Jonathan Taylor. 

Taylor imposed his will on the Chippewa defense, moving the ball 32 yards on the first drive alone, which he capped with a 4-yard touchdown run.

After CMU went three-and-out on the ensuing drive, punter Brady Buell fumbled the snap and the ball was pushed through the back of the end zone. The Badger coverage team touched the ball but never had possession, which caused a safety against the Chippewas.

Wisconsin was back at it on the offensive side of the ball – more like Taylor was back at it on the ground. He accounted for 44 yards, capped off by a 2-yard score. 

Just when CMU looked like it had a shot to put some points on the board, Dormady was intercepted by Jack Sanborn, who returned the pass to the CMU 27-yard line. 

Four plays later, quarterback Jack Coan found Taylor on the right side and the running back scampered in for a 17-yard TD catch. 

Coan later found Quintez Cephus on consecutive drives – 36 and 46 yards, respectively – to extend the Badger lead to 44-0 at the break, which could not come soon enough for CMU. 

Taylor added another touchdown to finish the day with 102 yards on 19 carries and three touchdowns. He also added 17 yards on three catches and one touchdown. 

"I really like the way he plays the game," McElwain said of Taylor. "I give big credit to their coaching staff and their organization and how they go about their business." 

Coan finished the game throwing 26-of-33 for 363 yards and three touchdowns. 

The Badgers had one turnover on a fumble late in the fourth quarter and CMU had the one turnover on Dormady's first interception of the season. He was pulled after going 5-of-12 for 36 yards in favor of David Moore. 

Moore was later pulled for Tommy Lazzaro after the junior, Moore, went 3-of-11 for just one-yard passing. 

McElwain said that the fact he was able to use a variety of players against one of the better defenses in the Big Ten Conference was a great learning experience. 

"We've got a long season ahead and we certainly didn't throw the towel in," he said. "The guys that went in deserved it, they worked hard in practice. We've got guys that deserve to play and we're going to play them, that's the way it's going to be." 

Wisconsin ended up gaining 599 yards offensively, while the Chippewas only gained 58.

Sophomore offensive tackle Luke Goedeke said that execution on both sides of the ball must be improved before the Chippewas' next game. 

"It was one little thing where one step too early or too late makes a big play for them," he said. "The second we get out of the showers, the preparation begins all over again. New opponent, new week." 

CMU will look to rebound at 3 p.m. Sept. 14 when it takes on Akron in the Mid-American Conference opener in Kelly/Shorts Stadium.