Marle Bringard, Zoie Reed fuel Chippewas to 2-1 win on senior day

lrm-export-80677968201028-20190908-154754812

Central Michigan midfielder Devyn Brough, far, celebrates with teammate Samantha Kaye-Toral after scoring a goal against Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis Sept. 7 at the CMU Soccer Complex.

It won’t be their last home game, and it certainly wasn’t their first. However, it was senior day Sunday afternoon at the CMU Soccer Complex.

Midfielder Marle Bringard, defender Ally Viazanko, goalkeeper Zoie Reed and student assistant Taylor Zimmerman were honored in a pregame ceremony, but that wasn’t all they would have to celebrate. 

Bringard and Reed each played a key role in Central Michigan’s 2-1 victory over Indiana University - Purdue University Indianapolis Sunday at the CMU Soccer Complex.

Playing against IUPUI marked the 61st game and 33rd career start for Bringard, who hails from Midland. Her experience showed early and often, as she was able to get out ahead of the Jaguar defense and draw a penalty late in the first half. It led to a goal for Devyn Brough. 

Bringard also contributed an assist on the game-winning goal by Alina Miagkova.

“She’s doing well for us,” said Chippewa coach Jeremy Groves of his senior midfielder, adding that she also played well in Friday’s win over Indiana State.

For Reed, a native of Woodbridge, Connecticut, it was her 23rd career start and 41st career game. She allowed one goal, a shot by IUPUI’s Maya Lacognato in which she weaved through the Chippewa defenders and tapped it in. 

Other than the one blemish, however, Reed was phenomenal. 

She faced nine shots and made five saves, one of which required her to come up on a slow roller with a Jaguar closing in. She made the play, and the clocked ticked under two minutes. It was the last threat that IUPUI posed.

“She comes out and collects balls, her kicking is good,” Groves said of his goalie, who left goal to come out and take many of the Chippewas’ free kick opportunities. “She makes the easier things look easy and there’s no panic back there."

Viazanko, the defender from Harrison Township, took a shot and provided a spark both on offense and defense. Zimmerman, the fourth athlete honored, has made the transition to student assistant after injuries forced her into retirement.

The Chippewas improved to 2-0-2 with the win and do not take the field again until the Sept. 22, when they travel to SEC country to take on the Kentucky Wildcats.