Annual CMU vs. WMU blood drive to take place Sept. 27

sweeney-blood-drive-4
An American Red Cross van sits parks outside the blood drive on Sept. 20 in front of Sweeney Hall.

The American Red Cross is partnering with the Health Professions Residential College to sponsor the annual Central Michigan University vs. Western Michigan University blood drive from noon to 5:45 p.m. Sept. 27 in the lobby of Emmons Hall.

This coincides with the annual CMU/WMU football game, which will take place in Kalamazoo this year, but the blood drive aims to help the community in the midst of a blood shortage.

“There is an immediate and urgent need for blood donors,” said HPRC Director Pat Cwiek. “Donating blood is an amazing way for students to serve others, help those who are sick or injured and truly make a difference in the lives of others.”

An engraved trophy is awarded to the school that is able to donate the most blood. WMU currently holds the trophy from the past year, but Cwiek hopes to raise more blood than last year. The goal is to collect 50 units of blood, enough to save the lives of 150 people.

“20% of the blood the American Red Cross collects is from students, so we really rely on our students to keep our blood supply where it needs to be so we can continue to make sure we meet patient needs,” said Red Cross Donor Recruitment Manager Lindsey Chesebro. “Every few seconds someone is in need of blood and humans are the only ones that create this life-saving product, so we need our students to help us on our life-saving mission.”