Library showcases work of past university photographers

9acea516-6ec9-4c00-b217-1beeeea0853f

Photos of blues performers taken by Robert Barclay line the walls Sept. 26 in the Charles V. Park Library Baber Room.

The walls are covered end to end with history. 

As you look down the wall, time unfolds as preachers, civil rights leaders, students, musicians and many other people and their stories are laid out in front of you.

Moments of understanding, compassion, pride and connection stretch across the entire room. Hundreds of photographs stretch across the wall, chosen from over one and a half million photos taken in the 66 combined years at Central Michigan University by three photographers: Peggy Brisbane, Robert Barclay and Steve Jessmore.

That's what over 100 students and community members saw at the dual exhibits "Through Three Lenses" at the Charles C. Clarke Historical Library and "Hands, Blues and Views" at the Baber Room in Charles V. Park Library Sept. 26. Open to the public, both exhibits showcase photos from the three experienced photographers who worked with University Communications.

It's the first time the Clarke Historical Library and the Baber Room have had two displays featuring the same artists. The event was organized by Janet Danek, coordinator of exhibits for Park Library, who designs all the exhibits in Clarke Historical Library and is steward for the entire art collection at the library. 

The choice to use both exhibits simultaneously for the same artists was to display both the historic contributions and the artistic contributions of these artists at the same time, Danek said.

"They are huge as far as the history of this university goes," Danek said, "But they're also artists." 

The Baber Room displays "Hands, Blues and Views," the fine art aspect of the photographers’ careers. Each artist takes a wall of space for their display; photos of their own choosing which defines their work the best are laid out.

Brisbane's wall shows how a person's hands can be their most emotionally descriptive feature. She shows the moments and emotions that can be displayed with a persons hands. 

"My photographs are quieter and very personal photos," Brisbane said. "Little moments of connection."

With a long career photographing blues musicians and hosting his own weekly blues radio show, Barclay displayed the musicians that he admires the most. His wall showcases portraits of artists past and present that he's taken over the years. 

Jessmore shows the time he spent making photographs in Flint. The main centerpiece of the wall is dozens of photos of Flint's streets, bookended by portraits of Flint residents and their stories. 

The photographers spoke about some of their favorite photos at the opening of the exhibit. 

Barclay showcased his photo of famous CMU alumus and NBC sportscaster Dick Enberg posing next to a statue of himself in the John G. Kulhavi Events Center giving a thumbs up. The statue was based on a photo of Enberg at CMU's 1980 commencement ceremony that Barclay took.

Peggy Brisbane's photo of the toilet paper throw at the 1987 CMU vs. Western Michigan University game on display Sept. 26 at the Charles C. Clarke Historical Library.

One photograph got laughs out of every person in the room: The toilet paper throw of the 1987 CMU vs. Western Michigan University game. The moment was captured simultaneously by Brisbane in black and white and Barclay in color, at what was one of the last toilet paper throws in CMU basketball history. The Brisbane black and white photo went on to fill two pages of People magazine.

The "Through Three Lenses" exhibit will stay up through February, "Hands, Blues & Views" exhibit will stay up through November.