Mount Pleasant Citizens' Climate Lobby invites students to brew up climate change solutions

ponder1
An inside look at Ponder Coffee Company's new location on Franklin Street.

Mount Pleasant Citizens’ Climate Lobby is bringing together students, faculty and community members to brainstorm solutions for climate change. 

The group is enlisting the help of Central Michigan University students and faculty to plan a Climate Solutions Summit for this spring.

The next brainstorming session takes place 9 a.m. Friday, Oct. 25 at Ponder Coffee Co., located at 1027 S. Franklin St. 

Marie Koper, group leader of Mount Pleasant CCL, said the rising number of demonstrations and summits correlates with the frustration young people have about their future.

“We know that many people – 70 percent or more – know the climate is changing, and (it) is changing more rapidly than previously projected," Koper said. "But many don’t know there are real solutions available right now... This event is designed to allay that anxiety and provide concrete beliefs to work toward the solutions.” 

Koper wants to begin implementing these solutions now because she said current technology and political ambition makes it possible to create solutions. Being part of the energized action will make hope arise for our struggling climate, she said.