The finale: Central Michigan faces Toledo with postseason implications

cmu-football-game-nov-2-5

Central Michigan quarterback Quinten Dormady, 12, celebrates with wide receiver Kalil Pimpleton, 43, after Pimpleton side-stepped a Northern Illinois defender and scored a touchdown Nov. 2 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. 

Jim McElwain took the head coaching position at Central Michigan and wanted the team he was inheriting to improve.

After having the worst season in program history by going 1-11 and winless in the Mid-American Conference, the Chippewas possess the chance to wash away the bad taste in their mouths in a significant fashion.

Heading into the final week of the regular season, Central Michigan and Western Michigan were tied in the MAC West Division standings at 5-2. The Broncos owned the tiebreaker from their 31-15 victory over the rival Chippewas on Sept. 28 in Kalamazoo. 

For the Chippewas to have a shot to win the division outright, they needed help from Northern Illinois. The Huskies hosted and defeated WMU on Tuesday to leave the Broncos at 5-3 in MAC play. 

As fate would have it, a win in its season finale against Toledo would give CMU a 6-2 conference record and its first MAC West division title since 2009. 

Ironically enough, 2009 was the last time the Chippewas defeated the Rockets. Since then, Toledo has won all but one game by more than 10 points. 

Senior center Steve Eipper said the numbers can be tossed to the side, claiming the team has made significant improvements from teams in the past. 

"We just have to ride the wave we have been this year," Eipper said. "We've improved drastically from years' past in every facet of the game. We just have to continue to play our style of football. I'm excited how we'll come out against Toledo on Friday."

McElwain and company can hit on two different goals he and the team had when the season began in August by going undefeated at home and winning the division. 

From the outset, McElwain has said he wanted to make Kelly/Shorts Stadium a tough place to play. 

Statically speaking, the Chippewas have been able to do that as they average 43 points at home and 550 yards of total offense, including a season-high 615 yards in the team's last home game on Nov. 2 against NIU. 

Defensively, CMU has allowed an average of 298.6 yards per game while boasting a plus-three turnover margin (9-6). 

The Chippewas are undefeated at Kelly/Shorts Stadium this season with the final game looming. 

McElwain said the players that stuck around were able to put in the work and put the team in the position it's in now. 

"They've made the choice to put in the work and give themselves a chance to win some ballgames," McElwain said. "They've done that and I'm really happy for them. This is a great opportunity for that first goal we set to make people uncomfortable to come here and play." 

For CMU to defeat the Rockets and advance to next week's MAC Championship Game, the team will need to key on running back Bryant Koback. 

Koback, a sophomore, has rushed for 1,165 yards and leads the team with 11 touchdowns. 

Toledo's quarterback, Eli Peters, has stepped into the signal calling role as the position is shaky for the Rockets. The run game should be more threatening than the passing game. 

Senior linebacker Michael Oliver said his teammates need to come out and anticipate a physical game because of Toledo's ability to run the ball. 

"We've got to play Chippewa football," Oliver said. "Play consistent, play fast, play physical and show them why 10 stops now. That's it. You can't sugarcoat it, there's no other way around it."

While the game is significant from a competitive standpoint, it is senior day for Chippewas and will be the last time stepping onto the turf at Kelly/Shorts Stadium to play a game for 15 guys. 

Eipper said that the day is a culmination of all the years playing youth football, moving to high school and finally to the final college home game. 

"Senior day is obviously one of the biggest days you'll play in your whole career," Eipper said. "It's your last regular season game, this year we'll have the opportunity to play a bowl game. But senior day is the last time I'll step out on that field with my teammates so it'll be pretty special."

Oliver said he wants to be a member of a senior class that went 6-0 in their final season at CMU. He also said that the trials and tribulations his class went through could only be endured by a strong senior class. 

"I love them," Oliver said. "We came in at the same time, been through the same changes and been through the same struggles. I wouldn't change it for the world, I love them. They've helped me become the player I am today with the knowledge and tools they knew."

As for McElwain, despite him coming in this year, he has developed a relationship with the team and its seniors. He has been able to have the team buy into what he wants to accomplish. 

With the goals within reach, McElwain said he was proud of the team, especially the seniors.

"This group of seniors chose to stay with us and more importantly invest in themselves to turn this around," McElwain said. "They're a great group of young men who will be successful as they move on from here. I told the team that this is the last time that team in the room will play together as Chippewas.

"That makes it a special moment." 

Central Michigan (7-4, 5-2) vs. Toledo (6-5, 3-4)

Time: Noon

Date: Nov. 29, 2019

Stadium: Kelly/Shorts Stadium

Location: Mount Pleasant, Michigan

Odds: CMU -10.5

Over/Under: 64.5

TV: ESPNU (Jay Alter and Rocky Boiman)

Radio: 98.5 WUPS (Don Chiodo, Brock Gutierrez and Adam Jaksa