John Veilleux hired as university communications VP, chief marketing officer

john-vellieux3

John Veilleux speaks to Central Michigan University students, faculty and staff at the second vice president for university communications and chief marketing officer forum on Oct. 23 in  the Charles V. Park Library Baber Room.

John Veilleux has been named Central Michigan University's new vice president for university communications and chief marketing officer.

In a University Communications press release on Nov. 12, President Bob Davies announced that Veilleux was hired and will start on Jan. 8, 2020.

“John is well-respected in higher education as a seasoned innovative marketing professional, and I’m excited to have him join Central Michigan University to lead our communications and marketing efforts,” Davies said. “His dedication to student success, (and) expertise in enrollment and creativity make him the right candidate to advance and enhance our brand and reputation." 

Veilleux currently serves as the vice president of marketing, communications and enrollment at Texas Wesleyan University. He served as the associate vice president of communications and community relations at Indiana University of Pennsylvania under Davies before taking the job at TWU.

During his candidate forum on Oct. 23, Veilleux said the opportunity to work for Davies again is what drew him to CMU. 

“He is probably the most transparent, most open, most engaging person I’ve ever worked with and I would really love the opportunity to work under him again," Veilleux said.

As the vice president for university communications and chief marketing officer, Veilleux will be responsible for increasing the university's visibility in and out of Michigan.

He will lead a team of about 30 professionals to create and implement strategies for marketing, branding and communications.

“It’s a tremendous honor to be selected to lead the university in its marketing and communications efforts,” Veilleux said. “I am excited about engaging with students, faculty, staff, alumni, trustees and friends of CMU to develop an innovative marketing and communications plan that will creatively envelop the rigor, relevance and excellence Dr. Davies often refers to when speaking about the distinctiveness of CMU and its academic programs.”