Men's basketball game at Miami (Ohio) postponed due to coronavirus concern

mbb-jan-7-9

Central Michigan forward David DiLeo braces himself against the base of the basketball hoop after missing a potential game-tying shot against Northern Illinois Jan. 7 at McGuirk Arena.

Central Michigan's Jan. 28 men's basketball game at Miami (Ohio) has been postponed. 

Miami's athletics department made the announcement Tuesday afternoon in a press release

In the release, the RedHawks announced the postponement of both Tuesday's matchup with Central Michigan and Wednesday's women's basketball game between Miami and Western Michigan. 

While a reason for the postponements was not given in the release, a tweet from the university's account says a student has "very mild symptoms" and met the criteria of "testing for possible infection with the 2019 Novel Coronavirus." 

"The health and safety of our student-athletes is always a top priority and, out of an ounce of caution, it was decided to cancel tonight's men's basketball game," Central Michigan athletic director Michael Alford stated in a press release sent out by Central Michigan's athletic department Tuesday afternoon. "I appreciate the diligence that the staff at Miami have shown and this serves as a reminder of how serious these issues are. Our medical team has also been an important part of this process, making sure our student-athletes are safe and protected." 

The press release announced that the game will be made up at a later date. 

Miami's athletic department did not return request for comment. 

CMU returns to action at 2 p.m. Saturday at Western Michigan's Read Fieldhouse in Kalamazoo.