Mount Pleasant Citizens' Academy accepting applications

stockbordenbuilding-2

The sun sets on City Hall in this 2019 file photo from downtown Mount Pleasant.

Want to learn more about the inner workings of city government? 

The City of Mount Pleasant is accepting applications for its fifth Citizens' Academy program. The free program takes place over seven weeks in February, March and April and covers topics like city finances, public works and elections. 

Participants will attend weekly sessions at 6-8:30 p.m. every Tuesday from Feb. 18 to April 14 in varying locations. Dinner will be served before each session at 5:30 p.m. The Citizens' Academy schedule includes a list of topics and locations.

Graduates of the program will be recognized at a City Commission meeting at 7 p.m. Monday, April 27 at City Hall.

The program is open to anyone living or working in Mount Pleasant, as well as business owners and students. Those who are interested can apply online or at City Hall. Applications are accepted until Jan. 31, 2020.

City Planner Jacob Kain said spaces are typically filled on a first come, first served basis. Kain said priority is given to those who can attend all seven sessions. If spaces fill up, remaining applicants will be placed on a waiting list. 

Kain said Central Michigan University students are encouraged to participate in the program.

"We love having CMU students," Kain said. "Students who have attended in the past thought the sessions were very informative. And even if they don't intend to stay in Mount Pleasant, the information is transferable to other communities."