EDITORIAL: Multiple-semester registration a necessary, useful change

imr6520

Senior office specialist Angela Massaway, left, helps Evart junior Courtney Sheldon Aug. 15 in the Student Services Court at the University Center.

Central Michigan University has taken a great step in the right direction by allowing students to schedule courses multiple semesters in advance. 

At the start of each semester, upperclassmen share stories with their peers about how they might have to return to campus for three months to take one last class to graduate. 

Hopefully, this change will give CMU students even more of an opportunity to graduate on time with their academic plan. 

Over the past few years, this university has emphasized its goal to help students graduate in four years. Before multi-semester scheduling, that was tough to do. This semester, CM Life quickly noticed the decrease in class sections while trying to work around staffers' schedules. With multi-semester scheduling, students can be aware of upcoming schedules months in advance.

Now, students in the spring will be able to register for summer, fall and spring courses at the same time. Students will be able to take advantage of the new scheduling process starting March 30, according to University Communications. 

Students do not need to register for three semesters in advance if they don’t want to, but with the addition of academic advisers through the student services fee, there’s no reason not to take advantage of this new tool. 

Financial aid disbursements, billing cycles and payment deadlines will all stay the same, according to University Communications. 

Recent changes to academic programs at CMU, including more advisers and multi-semester registration, should help with the retention of students in the future. Many students would be much more willing to get their degrees if they could plan out even further in advance. 

For more information on multi-semester registration, visit cmich.edu or email the Registrar’s Office at registrar@cmich.edu