Sophia Karasinski shows off long-range skill set in win over Miami (Ohio)

cmuvstoledo-bens-4
Freshmen guard Sophia Karasinski drives toward the net against Toledo on Feb. 10 in McGuirk Arena.

Last year, redshirt sophomore guard Sophia Karasinski's season ended before it could get started. 

After playing in 11 games and scoring 18 total points in her freshman campaign, the Grand Rapids native was hoping to contribute in a big way for a team that was coming off an NCAA Sweet 16 bid. 

However, she tore her ACL in October. The injury caused her to miss the season, although she was able to take a redshirt which gave her an extra year of eligibility. 

"It was awful," she said of not being able to play. 

However, it allowed her to change lenses. 

"I also loved being able to see the game from a different angle and help my teammates in a different way," she added. "Just being the best teammate I can."

As the 2019-20 season began, Karasinski was eased back into the rotation. Heading into Central Michigan's road game at Miami (Ohio) on Feb. 8, she had played a total of 60 minutes. Karasinski, who prides herself on being able to shoot the three, had been 0-9 on the season from beyond the arc. 

In the Chippewas' battle with the RedHawks, she broke out in a big way. 

It started with a jump shot to tie the game heading into halftime. She checked back into the game midway through the third quarter and quickly knocked down her first triple of the season. After Miami cut the Chippewa lead to four, Karasinski nailed another triple. She would later beat her defender off the dribble for a layup before ending the third quarter with a 3-pointer to finish with a career-high 13 points. 

She finished 4-of-4 shooting, including 3-for-3 from beyond the arc, in a season-high 11 minutes. The bench trio of Karasinski and seniors Gabi Bird and MacKenna Kelly combined for 41 points and 15 rebounds to fuel the Chippewas to their 11th victory in a row. 

Heading into the contest with the RedHawks, Karasinski had scored four points on the season and just 22 in her career. However, she was an all-state athlete at Grand Rapids Catholic Central High School and became known for her ability to shoot the ball. 

After being slowed for much of the season due to her injury, Karasinski made the most of her opportunity on the floor. Following the 99-87 victory over Miami, she was mobbed by her teammates in the postgame huddle. 

"That kid's been working her butt off in practice," said Chippewa coach Heather Oesterle. "She's been doing extra workouts and to see it pay off, the whole team was so excited for her."

Earlier in the season, Oesterle hailed Karasinski as a potential contributor once she reached full strength, emphasizing her ability to shoot the ball and guard all positions. On Saturday, Karasinski looked like the shooter she was recruited to be while also playing solid defense.

"I'm really happy with the progress I've made," Karasinski said. "I'm excited to see where it takes me." 

There has been plenty of work leading up to the moment for Karasinski. Through rehabilitation and early season struggles, she was able to work her way back into the rotation and earned her chance to shine on Saturday. She took full advantage of it and reminded fans what she is capable of.