Crime Log: Man arrested after using fake $100 bill to buy pizza

b6f5c0fb-6d32-4e70-870a-e57eb870b51d

A police cruiser sits outside the Central Michigan University Police Department building on Oct. 28. (Melissa Frick | Senior Reporter)

The following incidents were among those handled by the Central Michigan University Police Department from Feb. 4-10.

Feb. 4

Police responded to a non-aggravated assault complaint at 10 a.m. after two men engaged in a verbal argument near Pearce Hall. A 23-year-old man was crossing the street near Pearce when he reportedly was almost hit by a vehicle driven by a 32-year-old man, said Lt. Mike Sienkiewicz of CMUPD. The male pedestrian reportedly made an obscene gesture to the driver, which led to a confrontation between the two men. When police arrived, the two men did not wish to press charges.

A 25-year-old man was arrested after a stolen license plate was found in his car during a traffic stop at 1:25 p.m. on East Campus Drive. The man was pulled over for having an expired license plate and did not produce valid insurance. Before the vehicle was towed, officers discovered a license plate inside the vehicle that was reported stolen from Detroit. The man was charged with operating a vehicle without insurance and concealing stolen property. 

An 18-year-old woman reported to CMUPD at 7:21 p.m. that she thought she was being followed by a man near Trout Hall. Police made contact with the man, 20, and determined the incident was just a coincidence. 

Feb. 6

A 23-year-old man was cited for no proof of insurance after a traffic stop at 8:45 a.m. near Bellows and Fancher streets. The man was pulled over and reportedly told police that his insurance was expired, and the vehicle was towed from the scene. Later, the man came to CMUPD after he reportedly realized his insurance was actually paid, and he was given a citation by CMU police. 

A female employee from Wheeler Hall reported to university police that she had been involved in a phishing email scam and purchased $1,000 of gift cards. The woman reported that she received an email from someone pretending to be her boss, which requested for her to purchase gift cards and send photos of the cards. The woman complied with the request, but later realized that the email had been a scam. The incident remains under investigation. 

Feb. 7

A 23-year-old man reported to CMUPD that the rear windshield of his car was found shattered at 12:42 p.m. in Lot 40, 1950 West Campus Dr. Police have not determined if the windshield was broken on purpose or if it was shattered due to cold temperatures. 

Feb. 8

Staff members at St. Mary's Catholic Church, 1405 S. Washington St., reported a missing sign to CMU police. The incident remains under investigation. 

A 19-year-old man was arrested and charged with defrauding an innkeeper after he reportedly used a counterfeit $100 bill to purchase pizza. The manager of Cottage Inn Pizza, 1639 E. Broomfield St., reported to CMUPD that a customer had paid for a pizza with a counterfeit bill. The pizza was reportedly delivered to Emmons Hall at 5:38 a.m. Police made contact with the suspect and confiscated 10 fake $100 bills that reportedly said "for motion picture use only." Sienkiewicz said the man is not a CMU student.

A 21-year-old woman reported to CMUPD that her wallet had been stolen and a number of unauthorized transactions were made on her credit card throughout Mount Pleasant. The incident remains under investigation. 

Feb. 9

Police were dispatched to Wheeler Hall at 9:18 p.m. on the complaint of a marijuana odor coming from a room. Two residents, a 19-year-old man and an 18-year-old man, were contacted and turned over various drug paraphernalia to the police. No charges were issued, and CMUPD turned the case over to the Office of Student Conduct.