City receives 11 applications for recreational marijuana businesses

marijuana-deadline-1
A sign for recreational marijuana applicants hangs inside Mount Pleasant City Hall at 320 W. Broadway St. on Feb. 28, 2020.

Mount Pleasant closed applications for recreational marijuana businesses today, receiving one for a class C grower and 10 for retail locations Mount Pleasant city plainer Jacob Kain said.

The application deadline for recreational marijuana business applications was 4:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 28. Since the number of retail applicants exceeded the number allowed by the city’s recreational marijuana ordinance, a competitive selection process will open up to decide which ones get approved.

For the business types that have a limited amount of applications but did not fill the application threshold, the open spots will now be filled on a first come, first served basis, Kain said.

The applicants are listed in a document on the city’s website. One of them, Cary Investments, is Consano, a medical marijuana shop located at 309 W. Michigan St. They are one of three medical marijuana retailers approved in the city, with the other two not opened yet.

The ordinance was passed last year and put caps on certain types of marijuana businesses. The city will allow three retailers, three class C & B growers, five class A growers, and two micro-businesses. Other types like processors, safety compliance facilities and secure transporters can have an unlimited amount of businesses in the city.

The selection process will decide which business applications will be accepted if the number of applicants is greater than the amount allowed. Kain said businesses must submit a supplementary application for a $1,000 fee. Applicants can opt out of the selection if they wish, and they’ll be reimbursed $5,000 of their initial $5,200 application fee, he said.

The selection process will involve a selection committee, which will choose applicants based on certain criteria. Some of these criteria include business experience, the number of full-time employees and whether the applicant is already an approved medical marijuana applicant in Mount Pleasant.