CMU AD, top coaches to take pay cut due to coronavirus

imr1646

Central Michigan coach Jim McElwain paces the sidelines in the MAC Championship game against Miami (OH) Dec. 7 at Ford Field in Detroit, MI.

Central Michigan's athletic department is following the precedent set by other universities in the state by making individual pay cuts due to coronavirus.

Tony Paul of the Detroit News reported the department will announce cuts to Athletic Director Michael Alford, football coach Jim McElwain, men's basketball coach Keno Davis and women's basketball coach Heather Oesterle. 

The pay cuts are reportedly set to be made on Monday. 

Alford is set to take an 8-percent cut while McElwain, Davis and Oesterle will each take a 6-percent reduction to their base pay. 

CMU's two deputy athletic directors will each have a pay cut of 2 percent. 

Western Michigan's athletic director Kathy Beauregard has a 10-percent pay cut while each coach and department staff are all seeing a 2.25-percent pay cut as well. Eastern Michigan athletic director Scott Wetherbee is taking a 7-percent reduction. 

In mid-March, the NCAA canceled its winter and spring championships, ending the season for the rest of the academic year. Included in the cancellations was the men's basketball tournament, which cost member schools seven-figures in distributions from the TV contracts. 

As for football in the fall, executives are still working on making decisions on whether or not the season will be played.