CRIME LOG: Woman cited for leaving dogs in car exceeding 100 degrees

shop-with-a-cop3273

A Mount Pleasant Police Department car sits outside Walmart on Dec. 12.

The following incidents were among those handled by the Mount Pleasant Police Department from June 9 to June 22:

June 9

Officers were called at 2:20 p.m. because the caller witnessed a 7-year-old girl walking alone on East Broomfield Street. Upon arrival, the police talked to the girl and were able to locate her parents. Both parents were unaware that the child left home and said she was supposed to be napping. The complaint was then turned over to the Department of Human Services.

June 13

Officers stopped a truck on Michigan Street at 2:13 a.m. because the driver had squealed their tires in acceleration from the intersection and continued to speed up. The 26-year-old Alma man then admitted to the cop that he had come from a bar where he had been drinking. 

The officer then conducted a sobriety test with the driver and he was unable to maintain his balance and walk straight. He then blew into a breathalyzer which showed that he had a blood alcohol content of 0.10%. The man was over the legal limit and was arrested and taken to Isabella County Jail.

June 14

A police officer was on another call at O'Kelly's Sports Bar and Grille when he witnessed a man with two women leave the bar, get into a car and drive away. 

The car pulled out of the O'Kelly's parking lot and took a sharp turn without a blinker into the Shell gas station, so the officer stopped them. Upon further investigation, it was found that the man who had been driving was intoxicated and under the age of 21. He was unable to pass the sobriety test and had a blood alcohol content of 0.075. His BAC was not over the legal limit, but since he was not 21 he was arrested and taken to Isabella County Jail.

June 16

An officer stopped a vehicle at 1:46 p.m. on East Chippewa Street for not using a turn signal. The officer recognized the 26-year-old driver because he had felony warrants out for his arrest. When he was being arrested for the warrants, the officer found needles filled with liquid in his pockets. The man then admitted, and lab tests confirmed, that it was methamphetamine. The man was then taken to Isabella County Jail for his warrants and was further charged with possession of a controlled substance.

Officers were called at 5:53 p.m. after a patron at Meijer saw two dogs inside a hot vehicle for more than 20 minutes. Officers arrived at the Meijer parking lot, found the car and saw that the dogs were having a hard time breathing. The officers took the temperature of the inside of the vehicle and it was 108 degrees. 

When the officers found the 49-year-old owner, she said that she left her dogs in the car for approximately 30 minutes. 

She was then issued a citation for Animal Cruelty.

Officers were called at 7:49 p.m. to a house on Isabella Road for a possible domestic assault between sisters-in-law fighting over a custody issue. Upon arrival, one sister told the police that she was hit multiple times and that the other sister had started it. 

The incident was turned over to the prosecutor’s office for review as well as the Department of Human Services because there were children in the house who witnessed the alleged assault.

June 17

An officer observed a man walking around downtown Mount Pleasant around 2:30 a.m. and stumbling. Later that night, the officer witnessed the man getting into a vehicle and driving away on Portabella Drive. 

The 34-year old Shepherd man was pulled over and failed all sobriety tests administered by the officer. The officer also found that the driver had a blood alcohol content of 0.16%, which is twice the legal limit. The man was arrested and taken to Isabella County Jail.