City approves two retailers to sell recreational marijuana at three locations

Downtown Mount Pleasant remains on May 30 quiet during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Mount Pleasant Adult-Use Marijuana Establishment Selection Committee has authorized three retailers to sell recreational marijuana, according to a press release from the city.

The businesses authorized are:

• Lume Cannabis Co. at 901 E. Broomfield St. 
  • Lume Cannabis Co. at 1207 N. Mission St.
  • House of Fire Provisioning at 1005 Corporate Dr.

City planner Jacob Kain said Lume Cannabis Co. was authorized two locations due to the strength of their application. The company already has over a dozen locations across Michigan.

In Feb. 2020, the city received ten applications for three available retailer licenses. A competition was held to select applicants who are best suited to operate in compliance with the Michigan Regulation and Taxation of Marihuana Act(MRTMA)  -- an initiative that permits people ages 21 years or older to lawfully cultivate and use marijuana.

Mount Pleasant City Commissioners adopted ordinances related to MRTMA in Sept. 2019, allowing adult-use marijuana establishments to operate within the city.

Kaine said the businesses must be licensed by the state in under 18 months. Two of the three locations require construction which could delay the grand openings further.

At this time, the city is no longer accepting additional applications for provisioning centers or retailers, according to the press release. Applications for growers, processors, secure transporters, safety compliance facilities and microbusinesses are still being accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.