Davies announces new general counsel

john-danner
Courtesy photo

President Bob Davies announced John Danner as Central Michigan University's new general counsel in a University Communications press release Aug. 17.

Danner's position is effective on Sep. 14. He will replace Manuel Rupe, who was recently named the senior associate dean of legal affairs for CMU's College of Medicine.

According to the CMU website, the general counsel is the chief legal officer for CMU. They provide legal opinions, and advice and assistance to all university offices. 

"John displays a broad and deep knowledge of the role of general counsel at a public university," Davies said. "His versatility and experience, combined with his approachable and personable manner, will serve CMU well."

Before coming to CMU, Danner served as senior associate counsel since 2014 and interim chief legal officer from 2017 to 2019 at the University of Texas San Antonio

"I am truly honored to become general counsel for Central Michigan University," Danner said in the press release. "I am excited by the enthusiastic sense of identity and community I have found in CMU students, faculty, staff and administration. I am also proud to be a part of an institution that places such a high value on students' education and intellectual growth."