SGA approves cabinet and lays groundwork for the school year

screen-shot-2020-08-17-at-7-39-14-pm

SGA Vice President Brett Houle discusses procedure for the semester in a Cisco WebEx meeting on Aug. 17, 2020.

In the new online format, the Student Government Association voted in this year's cabinet and addressed open positions and instructions for representatives on Monday, Aug. 17.

In the first SGA meeting of the semester, the House, using more convenient features such as an integrated polling system to allow representatives to vote on motions and legislation, approved this year's cabinet.

Committee chairs introduced their platforms and what they're working on through the new year.

• Brandon McDonald, Academic Affairs chair, showed interest in pursuing virtual exam kits similar to the ones handed out for the first time last year.
  • Kyle Wright, Governmental Affairs chair, will focus on getting students to vote in the upcoming general election. He hopes to create a website to help student voters understand what district they are registered in and how to vote.
  • Aubre Thomas, Outreach Chair, wants to improve communication with off-campus students and work on legislation asking Central Michigan University to require subtitles on all media shown in class.
  • Lee Ringlever Special Events chair, plans on working through coronavirus restrictions to help freshmen engage with the university and still provide opportunities for connection and fun.
  • Kalli Walz, Sustainability chair, plans to continue previous endeavors and host some events such as passing out metal straws.

The budget was tabled for the next meeting because it is currently incomplete. Brett Houle, Vice President of SGA, said the organization still received its typical $24,000 allocation from CMU. Some legislation from last semester still pending.

The Multicultural Greek Council liaison position, the person responsible for communication between Greek life and SGA, is empty as of the meeting. Speaker of the House, who leads House meetings through parliamentary procedure, and Senate Leader are also open for applications. They are both paid positions and require office hours.

SGA does have socially distanced office hours for meeting with members of the organization to discuss legislation this semester. Previously, it was unknown whether it was safe enough to have face-to-face appointments with other students, Houle said.

RSOs can register their representative by going to SGA's Engage Central portal.