CRIME LOG: Intoxicated man arrested for assault at Target

shop-with-a-cop3273

A Mount Pleasant Police Department car sits outside Walmart on Dec. 12.

The following incidents were among those handled by the Mount Pleasant Police Department and Central Michigan University Police Department from Aug. 20-31.

Aug. 20

A 29-year-old woman returned to her apartment Aug. 15 in Kewadin Village and found all of her furniture was stolen. The building supervisors have no idea what happened. There are no suspects.

Aug. 21

Several liquor violations occurred on Main Street within an hour. These are some of the citations that were written.

• At 12:28 a.m. a 19-year-old Reed City man and a 19-year-old Leroy man were cited for open intoxicants (carrying open containers of alcohol).
  • At 12:45 a.m. a 19-year-old South Salem man was cited for open intoxicants
  • At 1:15 a.m. a 21-year-old Coldwater man was cited for open intoxicants.

Aug. 22

City officers were dispatched at 2 a.m. to an intersection on Michigan Street to investigate a suspicious vehicle stopped with the engine running. When officers arrived, they found a 35-year-old Weidman man sleeping in the driver’s seat. The car was still in drive and running, but his feet were on the brakes. Officers pounded on the windows and told him to put the vehicle in park. The driver told the officers that he would pull around the corner, but fled the scene. Officers engaged in a short pursuit. The vehicle drove through a house’s front lawn and pulled into a driveway. The driver left the car and officers arrested him for fleeing and eluding. The man failed all sobriety tests conducted by the officers. The man had a blood alcohol content of 0.11 percent. He was charged with operating while intoxicated and taken to the Isabella County Jail.

Aug. 23

A MPPD officer observed sparks coming from the rim of a tire at about 2 a.m. on Broomfield Street. The driver of the car, a 23-year-old Woodhaven man, had slurred speech, bloodshot and glossy eyes and alcohol on his breath. He claimed he didn’t have anything to drink that night, even though he said he was coming from the bar. The officer informed the man that he was driving on the rims of his tires, and conducted a sobriety test, which the man failed. The man refused a breathalyzer, which is a civil infraction. He was arrested. Officers requested a search warrant for a blood test.  

City officers responded to an assault complaint at 8:12 a.m. Upon arrival to the 1000 block of Mission St. the man refused treatment. Officers saw that his shirt was torn and he had blood on his face. The man claimed that his ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend, a 21-year-old Mount Pleasant man, had beaten him up at their child-exchange. The dispute was about the child being scratched at the grandmother's house, and that someone had slashed the new boyfriend’s tires. There was a verbal argument, and the new boyfriend accused the man of slashing his tires. He hit the man in the face with a closed fist. The child was present for the assault. Officers located the new boyfriend, and he said that “his anger got the best of him.” The new boyfriend was upset about the child and the tires, and admitted to punching the man. He was then arrested for assault, and taken to the Isabella County Jail. 

City officers were called to a scene of aggravated assault and malicious destruction of property at 7:40 p.m. at the intersection of Broomfield and Mission streets. A woman received a call from her boyfriend who asked her to pick him up from O'Kelly's. When he saw her at the bar, he was reportedly angry and said that she came too early to pick him up. He got in the vehicle anyway, and she began driving. The boyfriend started yelling and threatened her. He started trying to hit her while she was driving. He threw his fists at the driver's seat, hitting the dashboard and air vents in the process. He elbowed the passenger window three times while trying to hit her, and the window started to crack. When the girlfriend was finally able to stop the vehicle, he left the vehicle and walked behind ABC Warehouse. She called the police, but when the officers arrived they were unable to locate the man. Officers saw the car's passenger window was cracked and the air vents and dashboard were damaged from him trying to punch her. A warrant was sent out to the prosecutor's office for his arrest.

Aug. 25

A 21-year-old woman reported a theft from her vehicle parked in Lot 42 on CMU’s campus. Her wallet was missing. She lost $10 in cash and had to cancel her debit card. There were no signs of forced entry.

Aug. 26

A 19-year-old man returned to his car parked in Lot 42 on CMU’s campus to find the car’s center console open and $70 in cash was missing. CMUPD suspects this incident is related to the previous day’s theft. There are no suspects. 

Aug. 27

CMUPD arrested a man after exposing himself in two separate incidents on campus. Travis Russell Morrison, 31, was arrested and lodged at the Isabella County Jail and arraigned Aug. 28. 

Aug. 28 

City officers were dispatched at 3:07 p.m. to a possible domestic assault at a house on Granger Street. When the officers arrived, they heard screaming and fighting coming from the backyard. One man had taken his shirt off and was yelling and clenching his fists. Another man claimed that the shirtless man had pushed his girlfriend. This case was forwarded to the City Attorney for review.

An 18-year-old man reported that a tire was stolen off of his bike. A suspect was caught on camera surveillance, but has not been identified.

Aug. 29

A car leaving O’Kelly’s failed to stop at a stop sign at about 1 a.m. MPPD stopped the car, and upon interaction with the driver, suspected that she was intoxicated. The 20-year-old Marshall woman had slurred speech and alcohol on her breath. The officer conducted a sobriety test, which the driver failed. She was asked to use a breathalyzer, which showed a BAC of 0.11 percent. She was arrested for operating while intoxicated and was taken to the Isabella County Jail.

Target employees called CMUPD after asking an intoxicated 31-year old man to leave the store. The man was reportedly arguing with store employees, yelling profanities in the store and refusing to leave. When police arrived and asked him to leave, he made it through the first set of doors. Before making it to the second set of doors, he stopped, turned around and started arguing with the officers. He called one officer a b**** and a n***** before shoving another officer with both hands. In the parking lot, he was taken to the ground, handcuffed and arrested. Police took the man to the Isabella County Jail, where a breathalyzer test showed a blood-alcohol level of .25 percent. He was charged with two counts of assaulting, resisting and obstructing a police officer. He was also charged with assaulting a Target employee and one count of disorderly drunk.