GUEST COLUMN: Mount Pleasant Complete Count Committee encourages students to complete the census

census_2020_0
Courtesy Photo : United States Census Logo

Welcome Back CMU Students!

As your home away from home, the Mount Pleasant community has certainly missed you due to the disruptions COVID-19 caused to your Spring semester. We are happy you are back and your presence matters to us.

Because you play such a vital role in our community, and comprise half of our community’s population, we are requesting your assistance in completing the 2020 U.S. Census. Your action today will assist the Mount Pleasant community now and for the next ten years.

Due to COVID-19, you most likely returned to another community when the initial census invitations were mailed. And, you may have been counted elsewhere by your parents or others. However, if you lived or had planned to live in Mount Pleasant on April 1, 2020, you count here in Mount Pleasant.

By simply answering ten short questions, before Sept. 30, 2020, you have the power to ensure the Mount Pleasant area and CMU receives:

· Fair representation in federal and state government

· Proper funding of Pell Grants and Student Food Assistance Programs

· Quality highway and infrastructure systems

· New retail and dining options for you and future CMU Chippewas

As a CMU student, it is critical you respond to the 2020 U.S. Census with your planned place of residence on April 1, 2020.

Please take a few minutes today to complete your 2020 U.S. Census. Responding is safe and easy, whether online at my2020census.gov, over the phone at 844-330-2020, or by answering the door for your U.S. Census representative. Answering ten short questions today will make a positive difference for CMU, and the entire Mount Pleasant community for the next decade.

Thank you for your help and Fire up Chips!

Mount Pleasant Complete Count Committee