Journalism Department chair 'no longer employed by the university'

Alumna posted video of Boudreau citing Dambrot's comments using racial slur to basketball team

Professor Tim Boudreau takes notes during a Society of Professional Journalists panel April 11 in Moore Hall. 

After being put on paid administrative leave June 26, Journalism Department Chair Tim Boudreau is "no longer employed by" Central Michigan University. 

"I have been notified by Faculty Personnel Services that Tim Boudreau is no longer employed by the university," wrote College of the Arts and Media Interim Dean Elizabeth Kirby in a Sept. 2 email sent to tenured journalism faculty. 

The journalism personnel committee was asked by Kirby to meet and provide a recommendation for a new department chair by Sept. 9.

Kirby was contacted for comment for this story. Kirby said in an email response that she was "unable to comment on personnel matters." Dennis Armistead, executive director of Faculty Personnel Services, said he cannot comment on the situation, referencing the office's standard practice on personnel investigations.

Boudreau also was contacted for comment for this story. 

In June, Boudreau was put on paid administrative leave following the release of a video on Instagram. The video showed him saying aloud a racial slur during a Media Law class lecture about a 1993 lawsuit. 

In the nine-second video, Boudreau can be heard saying, “… so he said… ‘I don’t want you to be like n-----s in the classroom, but I want you to play like n-----s on the court’” during a discussion about the 1993 lawsuit between CMU and fired men’s basketball coach Keith Dambrot. The words Boudreau was recorded saying during the lecture were the comments made by Dambrot to the team, not Boudreau's own words.

On June 22, alumna Skyler Mills, of Miami, Florida, posted the video on Instagram. Mills' mother, Lisa, commented that the video was taken during her daughter's junior year. Mills graduated in 2019.

“Since we are exposing racists, let me introduce you to @cmuniversity professor Tim Boudreau who freely uses the n-word in class whether it be providing examples or quoting an individual,” Mills, an advertising major, captioned the post. “I know I wasn’t the only student of color who felt humiliated and uncomfortable by his racially insensitive statements.”

Mills declined to comment for this story.