EDITORIAL: Our plan of action covering COVID-19 going forward

editorial-pic

Central Michigan Life Associate Editor Andrew Mullin works on a story at his desk Sept. 2 in the CM Life office. 

For the past three weeks, Central Michigan University has been at the forefront of discussions when it comes to COVID-19 in higher education, especially in Michigan.

Between Central Michigan Life, The Detroit News, Detroit Free Press, MLive, The Morning Sun and various regional television stations there is enough media coverage to go around. It can be overwhelming for students, faculty and staff to see the college they represent in COVID-19 headlines and TV teasers.  

As this semester moves forward, it is important to us that you know what to expect from CM Life when it comes to COVID-19 coverage. 

This fall, we have a heightened responsibility as we report on CMU and COVID-19. We should not dilute the story. We also should not overwhelm our readers with information. 

In an email to the student body on Aug. 28, President Bob Davies said that each day the university will report new cases. This is a huge step forward for a university that has expressed the need for an open dialogue with students but limited the information it divulges. 

“Our Emergency Management Team is working diligently to ensure we’re reporting positive cases within our university community in a timely manner,” Davies said. “In partnership with the health department, we have identified a process to expedite reporting and identify positive cases connected with CMU.”

Whether administrators can stick to their word has yet to be seen. 

That's where CM Life comes in. 

Going forward, we will be giving readers updates on newly reported COVID-19 cases every Monday. Further case number updates can be found within stories pertaining to COVID-19 during the week. Of course, if there is a significant increase or decrease in the amount of new or total cases.

COVID-19 is the biggest story on campus. Therefore the entire CM Life staff is dedicated to covering it.

There are plenty of things students want to know right now: What is the case limit before campus has to be shut down? Why was there not on-site testing before students returned? What does the university consider a "normal" amount of cases? How many cases is CMU prepared to handle?

These questions need answers. We are working hard to get them for you. 

CM Life also needs to feature personal stories about individual students who have struggled with the idea of COVID-19 or having the virus itself. It will be from those stories that people will fully understand the effect COVID-19 is having on students on and off-campus.

Students are voicing two different opinions right now — some want to remain on campus and others want to go strictly online. CM Life is interested in covering both sides of the conversation. Student voices should ring loud and clear to administrators. After all, it is the students’ health and safety at risk.

We hope people are beginning to see firsthand the influence that journalists have at this moment in history. We take pride in the work that we do for our community. 

We understand that these are unprecedented times. Everyone is figuring out how to navigate this Fall 2020 semester. Through it all, CM Life will remain committed to our sources, readers and listeners. Because without these people, there would be no CM Life.