CMU reports 30 new COVID-19 cases last week, only 10 active cases

covid-1
A Bob Davies cutout sits at the entrance of the Central Michigan University Bookstore on Friday, Sept. 4, 2020.

After a spike in new COVID-19 cases last week, there were 30 new cases reported at Central Michigan University last week according to the university's Fired Up For Fall webpage. There have been ­­­­­­­­­328 total reported cases among CMU’s population since June 15.

Numbers from the week of Oct. 12 dipped from the week prior when 54 new cases were announced. From Oct. 8 through Oct. 18, the university reported 66 new cases. The university is reporting only 10 currently “active” cases.

"We do not send students home if they contract COVID-19," Heather Smith, executive director of University Communications, said. "If a student living on campus tests positive, they can self-isolate in a dedicated residence hall on campus or may choose to return home to self-isolate."

According to CMU's Health and Saftey Protocols, students, faculty and staff who test positive for COVID-19 must quarantine themselves for 10 days since symptoms first appeared.

Smith said multiple agencies perform different tests on campus along with off-site testing. These agencies have different timeframes for reporting a positive test to local and state health officials, up to 72 hours or more. 

Once the Central Michigan District Health Department and state gets these numbers, it can take an additional 72 hours or more to report back to CMU, Smith said. If someone with a positive result reports with an address outside of Isabella County, that could cause a further delay.

“In situations where positive cases associated with CMU are initially reported to health districts outside Isabella County, it is not uncommon for CMU to receive official notice after the person has already completed their isolation or quarantine period,” Smith said.

As of Oct. 19, there were 812 cases in Isabella County since the start of the pandemic, according to the county’s website. There have been 548 recoveries and 15 deaths. 

Courtesy of Central Michigan University : The weekly case numbers at CMU since the pandemic started.

Courtesy of Central Michigan University : The last 14 days of COVID-19 case reports.

Courtesy of Central Michigan University : Total case breakdown at CMU.