CRIME LOG: Suspect linked to Sept. 25 gun incident arrested

shop-with-a-cop3273

A Mount Pleasant Police Department car sits outside Walmart on Dec. 12.

The following incidents were among those handled by the Mount Pleasant Police Department and Central Michigan University Police Department from Sept. 22-28

Sept. 22

City police arrested a 38-year-old man from St. Louis around 4:30 p.m. for urinating outside Bennigan's. The man had reportedly been obnoxious to customers and staff. Officers made contact with the man after he had driven away and arrested him for indecent exposure.

Sept. 23

An 18-year-old man in Trout Hall responded to a job posting from a scam email. The man received a fraudulent check from the supposed employer and deposited it. Before the check was cleared by the bank, the man was instructed to withdraw cash and deposit it into a Bitcoin ATM. The man's bank rejected the fraudulent check and his remaining balance turned up negative. In total, the man was scammed out of $3,950.

The Kulhavi Hall RHD received word that a resident was in possession of a gun. CMUPD made contact with the alleged gun owner, who was cooperative and allowed a room search. No gun was found in the dorm room. According to the report, the tip had gone through a chain of people, which CMUPD interviewed. The gun was reportedly a detail that had been added through miscommunication.

Sept. 25

MPPD officers pulled over a 35-year-old man from Mount Pleasant for going 60 in a 25 mile-per-hour zone around 1 a.m. at the intersection of Broadway and Harris streets. After taking and failing a sobriety test, he consented to a blood draw test. The man reportedly tested positive for COVID-19 while in the hospital for his blood draw. He was arrested for operating while intoxicated. This is his second OWI.

Police arrested a man linked to the gun incident that occurred Friday, Sept. 25. The man from Saginaw was arrested on Sept. 30 on five counts of felonious assault, possession of a firearm, carrying a firearm with unlawful intent and home invasion, according to a press release from the MPPD. He was lodged at the Isabella County Jail and is awaiting arraignment.

Sept. 27

Police were dispatched at about 11 p.m. to 200 S Bradley St. due to an altercation between a wheelchair-bound man and his caretaker. The man said the caretaker reportedly put his hands around his throat after getting angry. The caretaker refuted this saying he had only touched his chin in a non-aggressive way. The complaint will be forwarded to the Prosecutor`s Office for review.

Sept. 28

Parking Services called CMUPD after finding a fraudulent parking permit on a vehicle in Lot 44. The 19-year-old man had been assigned a freshman decal and was displaying a south decal that did not match his vehicle. CMUPD made contact with the owner of the car, who admitted to putting the decal on his car. The incident was turned over to the Office Student Conduct.

MPPD officers passed a vehicle at about 12:30 a.m. on Broomfield Street that was flashing it high beam lights while driving recklessly. After pulling the vehicle over, officers noticed the 19-year-old  Florida woman had slurred speech and glassy eyes. The woman failed her sobriety tests and took two PBT tests. The first showed .13 blood alcohol content while the second showed .11. The woman was arrested for operating a vehicle while intoxicated.