EDITORIAL: Halfway through, don't overcommit, don't give in

editorial-option
Students and other members of the public walk across campus, Sept. 23.

We're halfway there.

Two more months until an early holiday break and a long-awaited breather. 

Students have lost the typical college experience to the pandemic, but the stress didn’t go anywhere. In fact, the work and commitment have increased. 

The halfway point is far from bliss. This is when many of us realize the mess we've gotten ourselves into. We've procrastinated projects, committed to too many registered student organizations and zoned out during morning online lectures. 

Who could blame us, especially this semester?

The digital burnout is finally catching up. The days are bleeding into one another. We've chosen to spend hours in front of our devices. Now, students' motivation is slowly waning.

As you stare at the checklist of unfinished items, consider if this is something you can do for another two months. Ask yourself if you need extra help. Then, act accordingly. 

If you need that extra help, the Office of Student Success are trained to offer a wide range of advice -- time management, goal setting and budgeting money. 

Think of it as an investment and not another meeting on your schedule. A half-hour with a success coach could save hours of hardship later on.

Perhaps the problem isn't classwork. At this point in the semester, it's easy to miss home, get irritated with your roommates or have trouble in your relationships. The counseling center is another resource to help resolve those problems.

These resources are meant for your success and wellbeing, there's no better time to take advantage of them than now.

There may be another level of stress for those involved on campus. RSOs can be fun but the workload is not always worth it.

Talk to the leader of your RSO or club about your workload. If you are the leader, consider delegating responsibilities with other members. Often times, students can prematurely commit to roles at the beginning of the semester.

It’s OK to rethink commitments this semester. Mental health should be the number one priority.

When the mid-point of the semester comes around, you notice you’re up to your knees in tasks. Finish this project, attend that meeting, organize the event. Now is the time to prioritize and focus on the thing that matters most, staying motivated.

Coming into this semester, students didn’t know what to expect. After six weeks, the day-to-day life of a college student has not gotten any easier. 

There are only two more months left. Take the rest of this week to reflect on your commitments and workload and make the necessary adjustments.