Pandemic pastimes: Virtual concerts and on-the-go pottery

0f4a0093
Items available to paint surround the lobby of The Painted Turtle on Aug. 22 located downtown Mt. Pleasant.

Students do not have to leave Mount Pleasant, or even their dorm rooms, to find something to do during the COVID-19 Pandemic.

Central Michigan University is putting on virtual entertainment series starting next week, holding free concerts and paid stage performances throughout the semester. The city also has opportunities for the more artistically inclined.

In this week’s edition of “Pandemic Pastimes,” Central Michigan Life explores some virtual and in-person offerings in the local community.

The Painted Turtle

Sitting downtown at 209 W. Broadway St. is the Painted Turtle, a shop with an assortment of pottery for people to glaze to their heart’ desires. According to the shop’s website, people pay just for the piece of pottery, not studio time. Prices range from $10 to $30, depending on the piece people choose.

Lately, the store has been following precautions such as limiting the store's capacity size to 22 people and disinfecting tools and surfaces. The store even offers curbside pickup for art supplies. A full list can be found on the store’s website.

The store’s hours are from noon to 6 p.m., Wednesday through Saturday.

Virtual Concerts

Want to enjoy a concert from the comfort of your own home? CMU’s Program Board will be providing this experience for free starting on Oct. 7 with “Fall Fest.” Concerts take place at 9 p.m. every Wednesday until Nov. 4. 

Students need to register ahead of time on Engage Central, where they will receive a link to the events. The artist performing in the series are:

- Cheat Codes: 9 p.m. Oct. 7

- Rico Nasty: 9 p.m. Oct 14.

- The Aces: 9 p.m. Oct 21.

- Jonathan Van Ness: 9 p.m. Oct. 28

- Chloe Fineman: 9 p.m. Nov. 4

Theater at Home

For those who have more of a taste for performance art, University Theater will be live-streaming virtual stage performances from Oct. 8 to Nov. 8. According to CMU’s website, performances will be smaller-scale and adhere to state and university health guidelines.

Performances include:

- Twilight: Los Angeles, 1992: Live-streamed October 8-11

- A Song for Coretta: Live-streamed October 22-25

- The Thanksgiving Play: Live-streamed November 5-8

Full descriptions of the show can be found on CMU’s website. Single-use digital tickets cost $5 for a person, or $10 a group.

Pandemic pastimes will be a weekly article series with suggestions of activities and events CMU students can partake in during the COVID-19 pandemic. If you have any local suggestions, please reach out to news@cm-life.com.