CMU PG Deschon Winston did not return to campus, not with team heading into 2020-21 season

winston-jan-7-1

Central Michigan guard Deschon Winston sets up the offense against Northern Illinois Jan. 7 at McGuirk Arena.

Central Michigan men's basketball point guard Deschon Winston is not with the team. 

His name has been removed from the official team roster, and a team spokesperson confirmed he was not with the Chippewas, saying, "He actually did not return to campus in the fall." 

Winston is not believed to be in the transfer portal and did not respond to a request for comment. 

Last season, Winston played in all 32 games for the Chippewas, starting seven in his first year with the program. He averaged 5.9 points per game to go with 2.3 assists. Winston played an average of 21.6 minutes per game. 

Winston came to CMU from the City College of San Francisco, where he spent one season. He played his freshman year at California, where he averaged 1.6 points in 25 games. 

With Winston gone, the Chippewas have just three returning contributors from last year's team: senior guards Devontae Lane and Travon Broadway and redshirt sophomore guard PJ Mitchell. Four others, junior guards Matt Beachler and Preston Enloe and freshmen forward Caleb Hodgson and guard Dylan Jergens, all redshirted last season. 

The Chippewas will open the season at 5:30 p.m. on Nov. 25 against Trine in McGuirk Arena.