Students to host free virtual music festival

save-the-stages-final-flyer-1

Central Michigan University recreation, parks and leisure students are hosting a free virtual music festival titled "Save Our Stages" to raise money for a nonprofit organization.

The event takes place on Nov. 5 and 6. The event will include virtual yoga, an art showcase and multiple music performances. It will broadcasted via YouTube Live.

"The purpose of our event is to create a stress-free, fun, and entertaining atmosphere for students to feel like they're back at a music festival," said junior David Downing, one of the coordinators of the event. 

Although the event is free, the group is raising money for the nonprofit National Independent Venues Association. The money raised will be going to help performing artists struggling due to COVID-19.

Students can get involved in the event by scanning the QR code on their poster, or by following "Save Our Stages" on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter @CMUSavetheStages.

Attendees will have the opportunity win gift cards and free t-shirts. The event will introduce participants to local bands .

The event starts at 6:30 p.m. Nov. 5 with a virtual session by Muskegon Yoga. After that, The Boys Back Home will perform. An art showcase featuring Kayla Phend and Hannah Ardelean will be shown afterwards. Finally, the night will close out with a performance from Freezer Bees.

Nov. 6 opens with Muskegon Yoga at 6:30 p.m. again. Then there will be performances from five DJ's who go by Nick White, Frankie Kule, Bewchaca, Astral Descent, and Hedron (Of SpicyBois).

The recreation, parks and liesure course is the presenting sponsor for this event. Other sponcers include C&O Sportswear, Dagwoods Auto Repair INC, Isabella Bank, Kopy Korner, Muskegon Yoga, Recreation Parks and Leisure Services Administration and The Bird Bar & Grill .