SGA passes gender-neutral housing resolution

screen-shot-2020-11-09-at-7-06-56-pm

SGA Vice President Brett John Houle presents the agenda for the General Board meeting on Nov. 9, 2020.

Edit: A correction was made to clarify that the legislation would not ask a student if they are transgender or gender-nonconforming.

As Student Government Association representatives and senators began to close out the year, they passed their first legislation of the semester on Nov. 9, 2020.

The legislation on gender-neutral housing was presented last meeting and reintroduced this time with some amendments. The changes include an option on the housing application to ask if a student would like to be considered for gender-nonconforming inclusive housing.

This legislation would allow students to not have to call the Office of Residence Life if they want gender-neutral housing, and instead make it more accessible, said Nova Moore, author of the legislation, last meeting.

The SGA House was supportive of the idea.

"I think that this legislation is a great idea and it will make the housing process so much more comfortable for transgender and gender-nonconforming students," junior Rebecca Henning said.

The House passed the legislation without further discussion. It moved onto the SGA Senate where it was unanimously passed without discussion.

In the cabinet, Kelly Gibson was appointed the Director of Marketing, and the position of Equity and Inclusion Director is now open for the taking.