Click here for COVID-19 updates affecting the campus community

Former prosecutor linked to Ian Elliot case to be charged with misconduct in office


ian-elliott-14-of-15
Assistant Attorney General Brian Kolodziej gives a final statement Aug. 2 at the Isabella County Trial Court.

Former state assistant attorney general Brian Kolodziej is being charged with misconduct in office after having an inappropriate relationship with a survivor of a criminal sexual conduct case.

Kent County prosecutor Chris Becker said Thursday he has filed two felony counts in Isabella County after an investigation which began shortly after Kolodziej's resignation from office in 2019. 

Misconduct in office, which is the charge against Kolodziej, is punishable by up to five years in prison, a $10,000 fine or both.  

Attorney General Dana Nessel thanked Becker and Michigan State Police for the investigation of her former employee in a recent press release.

“We condemned Mr. Kolodziej’s actions when we first discovered them, and we support Prosecutor Becker in his pursuit of justice and will continue to cooperate with his office’s efforts as this case moves forward,” Nessel said.

The date of an arraignment date for the case has not been set.

Kolodziej was a former prosecutor in Macomb County before joining the AG’s office during Bill Schuette’s tenure.  

Kolodziej was assigned to the Ian Elliott case after the AG’s Office filed three charges against Elliott on Oct. 31, 2019 on behalf of former CMU student Rachel Wilson. 

Wilson went public with her story in an interview with Central Michigan Life. Separate charges were filed against Elliott by Landrea Blackmore after she testified at a preliminary exam.

On April 4, 2019, Elliott’s defense attorney Joe Barberi filed a motion alleging prosecutor misconduct and asking for the court to dismiss the charges. The motion alleged that Kolodziej withheld information and violated ethical rules, including forging police reports. 

At the time, Elliott had already been sentenced to one year in prison.

After the revelation of misconduct was brought forward, the AG’s office offered Elliott a lower charge in the case. He pleaded no contest to fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct on Jan. 17. 


From the Isabella County Trial Court

Share: