CMU signs 20 recruits on day one of 2021 early signing period

imr1519

Central Michigan coach Jim McElwain walks down the tunnel toward the field before the second half of the MAC Championship game Dec. 7 at Ford Field in Detroit, MI. 

Central Michigan football signed 20 recruits as part of its 2021 recruiting class on the first day of the NCAA early signing period Dec. 16. 

CMU had 17 of its verbal commitments sign, as well as three players joining the class without prior announcement. These players are expected to make up the entirety of the Chippewas' early signing class. 

Last season, CMU signed 20 players on day one of the early signing period, but only seven came to campus in the fall, with the others electing to grey shirt and join the team this spring. 

The early signing period ends on Dec. 18. The Chippewas, along with all of the Division I football programs, will have one more opportunity to sign recruits during the regular signing period, which is scheduled to run from Feb. 3-April 1. 

"It was a very challenging year for all of us -- coaches and recruits both -- but I couldn't be happier with this group that we were able to sign," coach Jim McElwain said in a statement. "There's a lot of really talented, tough kids in this group and I give them a lot of credit for navigating through this process with everything going on and having to do most things virtually. It's been fun watching this class come together and I can't wait to get them up here on campus." 

Here's a look at each of CMU's 2021 early signees: 

DJ Stepney - RB (Macomb, MI) 

Stepney is the consensus highest rated recruit within the Chippewas' class. He is ultra-talented and the Chippewas view him as a prize that can contribute right away. Stepney was one of the best high school players in Michigan each of the last two seasons and is a candidate for Michigan's Mr. Football award. He's listed as a running back in the class but has expressed confidence in playing both sides of the ball. 

Irone Jackson - RB/DB (Bradenton, FL) 

Jackson spurned several Power Five offers -- from North Carolina State, Florida State and Georgia -- to join the Chippewas and team up with hometown friend, Daedae Hill. He possesses a lot of speed and is a physical player on both sides of the ball. He's in a similar position as Stepney in terms of where he wants to play and is listed as an "athlete" in the Chippewas' press release. 

Caleb Spann - Safety (New Orleans, LA)

Coming to CMU from John Curtis Christian High School, Spann is a hard-hitting safety who covers a lot of ground with his speed. He's a candidate to be part of the future in the Chippewa secondary as upperclassmen Alonzo McCoy and Devonni Reed approach graduation. Spann has also been helping his team out on the offensive side as of late. 

Elijah Rikard - DB (Detroit, MI) 

Rikard has good size for a defensive back at six-foot-one, 175 pounds. He played safety at U of D Jesuit, but could move to the cornerback position if needed. A glance at his film shows that he has good instincts which bodes well for his future in the defensive backfield. If he doesn't stick in the backfield, look for him to be in the mold of a Troy Brown-type player who adds weight and shifts to linebacker. 

Eric Reese - WR/DB (Macomb, MI) 

A teammate of Stepney's, Reese is another speedy, versatile recruit that can play on both sides of the ball. He's an exceptional athlete who has a knack for finding the ball, whether it be at receiver or defensive back. He's another one who is listed as an "athlete," so his position is yet to be determined. 

Alec Palella - TE (Bartlett, IL) 

The first of two tight end commitments, Palella stuck with the Chippewas, his first offer. Palella stands six-foot-four and 230 pounds. He's a strong player who could potentially slide into that hybrid H-back/tight end role that Hunter Buczkowski and Oakley Lavalli, both built similarly to Palella, played the last three seasons. 

Fernando Sanchez III - LB (Loganville, GA) 

At Grayson High School, Sanchez played on the top high school football team in Georgia according to MaxPreps. He's a big-bodied kid at six-foot-two, 212 pounds and has good range. He'll likely start his career at outside linebacker but could move to the edge if he's able to take his passing rushing success to the next level. 

Isaiah Rogers - DL (Sharon Hill, PA)

Rogers committed and signed with the Chippewas on Dec. 16, with his signing being announced at 7:22 a.m. on Twitter. He chose CMU over offers from Colorado, Florida International, Western Kentucky and a slew of MAC and FCS schools. His recruitment seemed fairly low-key, so he could end up being an under the radar steal for the Chippewas in the future. 

Jase Bauer - QB (Ankeny, IA) 

After leading the Ankeny Hawks to a state championship in 2020, Bauer jumped at the opportunity to play Division I football with the Chippewas. His coaches believe that had there been a typical summer, Bauer would've worked his way up the ranks in camps. However, he fell right into the Chippewas' laps and could wind up being a huge steal and the quarterback of the future.  

Chris Parker - WR (Saginaw, MI) 

At six-foot-two, Parker has good size for the wide receiver position. He looks like a potential candidate to play as the Chippewas' back side receiver, a spot for players with Parker's size who is capable of winning often in one-on-one coverage. He's a bit of a raw wide receiver and may need some development, but this is a nice prospect for the Chippewas to work with. 

Trevor Jones - OL (Ypsilanti, MI) 

Lincoln High School is known for prized basketball prospect Emoni Bates, however his teammate, Jones, has plenty of talent on the football field. Jones was a guard for the Railsplitters and will likely stay at that position. He's CMU's highest rated offensive line commit and has a chance to compete for time in the fall along with the prospects in the 2020 class. 

Hunter Marcom - TE (Waupaca, WI)

What sticks out most about Marcom is his size. At six-foot-seven, he's a big prospect and has good hands. He's another player that might need a little bit of development, but everything circles back to his size and for that reason he will warrant a look early in his career when it comes to the passing game. 

Tyson Davis - WR (Goodrich, MI) 

The key with Davis is his speed. At five-foot-nine, he's built similarly to players on CMU's roster like Kalil Pimpleton and Zahir Swann. McElwain and offensive coordinator Charlie Frye have found numerous ways to get those guys involved, so it's likely that Davis is next in line to play the scatback-type role. 

DeAnthony Becton - Safety (Akron, OH)

Becton was the first recruit to submit his letter of intent. He's a bit of an undersized defensive back who may need to develop before he's ready to contribute. Regardless, he's a three-star prospect and the Chippewas' only commitment from the state of Ohio. 

Brayden Swartout - OL (Essexville, MI)

Swartout is another player with an abundance of size, standing six-foot-seven and weighing 285 pounds. He was part of an Essexville-Garber squad that lost in the district final game. Swartout didn't have any other listed offers on 247Sports but is a three-star prospect who climbed the ranks as the season progressed. 

Michael Heldman - DL (Romeo, MI)

McElwain and company flipped Heldman from Division II Grand Valley State. He's another developmental project, but the coaching staff saw something that they really liked in him. The defensive end position is heavy on upperclassmen so there will be an opportunity for Heldman, as well as a potential switch to linebacker. 

Quindario Lee - DE (McKenzie, AL)

Originally committed to the program in the spring of 2019, Lee spent this past year at Fort Scott Community College. There was no season at the junior college level, so it's been a while since he's played in competitive action. The advantage for him, however, is that he'll be able to join the program for spring ball and get back into the swing of things. 

Jonah Pace - DE (Marengo, IL) 

Pace is another big defensive commit, standing six-foot-five. He's a strong edge rusher who is another prospect that might've climbed higher had there been a regular summer of camp opportunities. At 240 pounds, the size is there for him to contribute on the edge. 

Bruno Guberninich - OL (Novi, MI) 

Guberninich comes from Detroit Catholic Central High School and was a late addition to the early signing class. He'll provide depth up front early on and should be another developmental prospect down the line for the Chippewas. 

Dakota Cochran - LB (Shaker Heights, OH)

The last player to be announced, Cochran comes to CMU from a Shaker Heights squad that struggled in 2020. Cochran was also a basketball standout and has good range for a linebacker of his size. He was a two-way player in high school but with focus on defense at the collegiate level.