Thin at quarterback, CMU counting on internal solutions behind new starter Ty Brock

cmu-football-11-28-7

Central Michigan junior quarterback Ty Brock attempts to throw a pass in the direction of wide receive Dallas Dixon in a game against Eastern Michigan Nov. 30 at Rynearson Stadium in Ypsilanti, MI. 

One option awaits answers, one option must sit out due to NCAA transfer rules and another is out with injury. A fourth option gray-shirted. Only one of Central Michigan's preseason projected five options at quarterback is active and eligible to play. 

Nobody is behind redshirt junior Ty Brock in terms of quarterbacks. Senior David Moore still awaits answers on his eligibility, redshirt freshman Daniel Richardson went down with an injury while freshmen John Keller and Tyler Pape are both unable to play. 

But that doesn't mean the Chippewas don't have options. 

CMU coach Jim McElwain declared Brock the starter heading into the Chippewas' Dec. 5 matchup with Ball State during his weekly press conference. Having watched Richardson carted off in Saturday's win over Eastern Michigan, and Brock performing well in relief, that statement was no surprise. 

What followed might've been shocking to the untrained ear. 

"That'll put (junior) Kalil Pimpleton as the backup quarterback," McElwain said. "Third team quarterback will be (junior) Darius Bracy and we'll bring (sophomore) Joel Wilson, dust the cob webs off of him from his high school days as a quarterback behind Ty, and then we could have some other guys taking snaps throughout the week."

A wide receiver, a running back and a tight end serving as backup quarterbacks -- What? 

Such is life in 2020. 

The unique trio backing up Brock is one made up of former high school quarterbacks, players who were the best athletes on their respective teams who hold the ability to help the team in a pinch. Two of the three, Pimpleton and Bracy, have taken snaps for the Chippewas this season, with Pimpleton completing 1-of-2 passes for 30 yards. 

Running backs senior Kobe Lewis and redshirt freshman Lew Nichols have operated at quarterback at times as well. In all, six players have taken snaps for the Chippewas in 2020. 

McElwain and offensive coordinator Charlie Frye have shown a steadfast commitment to their "wildcat" package, devoting nearly entire series to the use of players other than starting quarterback Daniel Richardson behind center. So, Pimpleton, Bracy and Wilson getting snaps at QB comes as little surprise. 

However, with Pimpleton being one play away from taking over, one big question looms. 

Can CMU stay two-dimensional with a receiver at quarterback?

With what Pimpleton has shown this season, the argument can be made that he can indeed maintain balance within the offense. At Muskegon High School, he received All-State honors twice and threw for over 1,000 yards as a junior for the Big Reds. 

He operated well behind center in CMU's 52-44 loss to Western Michigan, bursting through a gap and going 65-yards for a score on the game's second play and scoring twice later in the game.

He also completed a pass in that game to senior wide receiver JaCorey Sullivan. Though he completed one of his two attempts, both passes were under thrown. However, tailoring the game plan more toward his abilities with the ball in his hands as opposed to having the ball leave his hands would be beneficial should he have to take over. 

Behind Pimpleton is Bracy, a high school quarterback-turned-defensive back who has switched sides of the ball heading into his junior season. According to MaxPreps, Bracy threw for 915 yards and seven touchdowns as a senior at Baker High School in Mobile, Alabama while running for 1,357 yards and 14 scores. 

This season, Bracy has taken a handful of snaps, carrying the ball eight times for 83 yards. However, Bracy has not carried the ball in either of the Chippewas last two games due to a lingering injury that forced him out of CMU's 40-10 win over Northern Illinois. He has yet to throw a pass, so there is uncertainty surrounding his arm strength. 

Wilson was a two-star prospect according to 247Sports coming out of Petosky High School and was his team's best athlete. As a senior, he accounted for over 3,000 yards of offense while also leading his team in tackles. In three years with CMU, he has caught just three passes for 15 yards. He missed most of last season with a leg injury suffered in the opener. 

Needless to say, having one active quarterback is not ideal for CMU. Brock will carry a lot of weight, but McElwain will surely mix up packages to try and keep him from doing too much. Expect to see a lot of Pimpleton, Lewis and Bracy in different wildcat packages. 

"It doesn't matter the position, wherever we're deficient we'll do something to allow us to play the game," McElwain said. "I'm excited for our kids to go out and play a game at home against a really good opponent."