CMU baseball releases schedule, 40-game MAC season

lrm-export-258868384969035-20190516-190128735

Central Michigan's Mens' Baseball Team stands at attention during the national anthem before facing Miami May 16 at Theunissen Stadium.

CMU's baseball team is slated for a 56-game season, with a 40-game Mid-American Conference slate for the 2021 season. 

The Chippewas are set to open the season Feb. 19 in Nacogdoches, Texas for a four-game set against Stephen F. Austin. 

"First and foremost, we just feel fortunate and excited that we're going to have a chance to play," said third-year head coach Jordan Bischel. "That's been a question mark in all sports dating back to the fall. I think there was some fear that we may not get some nonconference games in and it looks promising that we will, which is great." 

While no Spring Break trip is on the docket, CMU is set to face Bellarmine in Louisville, Kentucky, travel to West Virginia and Dayton. 

"Those nonconference games are pretty critical not only to learning about your team on the field but just to get on a baseball field," Bischel said. "If we didn't do that we wouldn't get outside until the middle of March so those are critical not only for game play but from a practice perspective and a development perspective." 

Traditionally, the MAC season consists of 23-27 games, a the jump to 40 is a significant change. 

For the MAC series, there will be four games with single games on Fridays and Sundays with doubleheaders on Saturdays beginning on March 26 against Ohio and wrapping up at the . 

There will be no MAC Tournament this year. 

CMU will play just two midweek games this season, a home-and-home against Notre Dame with the game in South Bend on April 14 and the return game in Mount Pleasant on May 4. 

"It'll be different having very few midweek games and playing so many league games," Bischel said. "You have a lot of games that carry a heck of a lot of value and if you can get most of those 40 in, it should be a pretty darned good barometer of who the best (MAC) team is, and we'll send a worthy team to the (NCAA) regional."

Here is the Chippewas' 2021 baseball schedule.

Feb. 19-21 -- at Stephen F. Austin
Feb. 27-March 1 -- vs. Bellarmine (at Louisville)
March 11-13 -- at West Virginia
March 18-20 -- at Dayton
March 26-28 -- at Ohio
April 2-4 -- at Northern Illinois
April 9-11 -- BOWLING GREEN
April 14 -- at Notre Dame
April 16-18 -- KENT STATE
April 23-25 -- at Akron
April 30-May 2 -- MIAMI (OHIO)
May 4 -- NOTRE DAME
May 7-May 9 -- BALL STATE
May 14-May 16 -- at Western Michigan
May 21-23 -- EASTERN MICHIGAN
May 28-30 -- at Toledo