CMU quarterback Ty Brock stepping away from football

cmu-football-11-28-7

Central Michigan junior quarterback Ty Brock attempts to throw a pass in the direction of wide receive Dallas Dixon in a game against Eastern Michigan Nov. 30 at Rynearson Stadium in Ypsilanti, MI. 

Central Michigan football quarterback Ty Brock is stepping away from football. He made the announcement Wednesday in an Instagram post, which he captioned "Dear Football...". 

"I want to stress that my decision had nothing to do with playing time or coaching staff," Brock told Central Michigan Life. "I found everything I was looking for at CMU and built some great relationships. This had everything to do with me personally. Coach (Charlie) Frye has always stressed to us that you cannot succeed in something you're not passionate about. At the end of the day, I've come to realize that football just isn't my passion anymore." 

Brock told Central Michigan Life that he plans to finish his degree at CMU remotely and that he believes his scholarship will be honored through the spring semester. He's returning home to Texas in search of a new passion. 

Brock, a native of College Station, Texas, spent one season at CMU in which he played in five games, starting two. He was 38-for-65 passing for 351 yards and two touchdowns while rushing for 118 yards and two touchdowns on 25 carries. He came to CMU after three seasons at Division I FCS Sam Houston State, where he played in 15 games. 

As a redshirt freshman with the Bearkats, Brock started the final eight games of the season and was an honorable mention choice for the FCS Freshman All-American team. In his sophomore season, Brock played in six games despite dealing with an ankle injury. He elected to transfer following the season, ultimately choosing CMU. 

Brock suffered two serious leg injuries in high school, one ending his sophomore season and the other at the start of his senior year. He was rated as the seventh-best quarterback in Texas in the class of 2016 prior to his injury. 

With Brock not with the program, the Chippewas have five quarterbacks on roster: Juniors Tyler Shearer and John Keller, sophomores Jacob Sirmon and Daniel Richardson and freshman Tyler Pape on roster at quarterback. 2021 signee Jase Bauer will join the team in the fall.