CRIME LOG: CMU student dies from reported drug overdose

shop-with-a-cop3273

A Mount Pleasant Police Department car sits outside Walmart on Dec. 12.

The following incidents were among those handled by the Central Michigan University Police Department and the Mount Pleasant Police Department from Jan. 11 to Jan. 18.

Jan. 11

CMUPD conducted two traffic stops the morning of Jan. 11. The first occurred at 9:36 a.m. and involved a 33-year-old woman who was pulled over on E Pickard Street for cutting off another vehicle. The second happened about an hour later. A vehicle was pulled over for having expired plates. The driver, a 27-year-old woman, told the officer she never had a driver's license. She was written a ticket for both traffic violations.

The MPPD helped community mental health employees check-in on a 30-year-old man who made earlier death threats to the employees. The man is a patient at Community Mental Health Central Michigan. 

Jan. 12

City police assisted the parole agent of a 29-year-old man at about 4 p.m. Law enforcment searched the man's house on the 600 Blk. of Washington Street. The parole officer discovered smoking pipes, drug paraphernalia and a white powdery residue that tested positive as methamphetamines. The man was arrested on his parole warrant for violation of the controlled substance act.

Jan. 13

City Police verified a CMU student died of a drug overdose but cannot disclose any more information until after an autopsy is finished. Police responded to the incident around 8 a.m. In an email sent to University Meadows residents, property manager Justine Tuma said the incident took place within the apartment complex. Central Michigan Life is awaiting the release of the autopsy report.

Jan. 15

A 17-year-old woman had a possible suicide attempt at about 7 p.m. City Police responded to the call and reported the woman had no visible injuries. Officers on the scene and Moblie Medical Response (MMR) responded to the situation. The woman was taken to Mid-Michigan Hospital.

A 31-year-old international student called CMUPD at about 5 p.m. to report potential fraud activity. The student received multiple phone calls from someone who pretended to be a social security administrator. The student ultimately provided no valuable information. 

CMUPD assisted the Isabella County Sheriff's Department in responding to a domestic violence complaint around 8 p.m. The incident occurred at Jamestown Apartments. CMUPD assisted in interviewing witnesses and turned its findings over to the Sheriff's Department.